Chapter 2- A Complete Set

John was roused from his sleep as he heard bustling coming from outside his bedroom door. Someone was walking rather rampantly around in the kitchen—Sherlock. He frowned grumpily as he angrily shuffled out of bed. Sherlock had crossed a boundary...He couldn't just go around announcing that people—strangers—were virgins. John rather liked Ruth—she was like the little sister he never had...And he would protect her from the thick-headed Holmes if he had to. The doctor swung his door open before making his way towards the kitchen. The stained glass sliding door was shut, but he could see the blurry form of Sherlock moving about hastily as he fully invested himself in some sort of work. What was he doing in there? John hoped to God he wasn't taking another salad fork inventory...

He gripped the door and slid it open, his eyes widening as he was met with a very ridiculous and...simply disturbing sight.

Sherlock's face was keen with concentration as he stood before a red lacy bra that was hanging haphazardly by the straps. He was examining it very closely with a small rectangular magnifying glass. There was something quite queer about the whole scene.

"Sherlock, what in the bloody hell are you doing? That...that bra...better not belong to who I think it belongs to..." John pointed accusingly at the undergarment in disbelief as Sherlock pulled his eyes away from the lacy red piece to glance up at him with a casual expression.

"I'm observing the fiber particles of this material. In total, I have conducted three durability tests and two micro-particle analyses...There is much more to be examined—quite a mysteriously grandiose article of clothing to wear under one's visible garment...It was made to be seen, but is not...very strange indeed," John could not believe his ears as Sherlock went back to closely examining the bra...

"Let me get this straight...You...of all people...are baffled by a woman's bra?" It was simply ridiculous. John snorted to himself. Sherlock rolled his eyes and faced him with an irritated look.

"It's rather fascinating, John. An item meant to be both seen and unseen. Very clever...these women," Sherlock trailed off as he scribbled some notes in a small leather booklet before retrieving a blowtorch from behind the counter. The detective flipped a welding mask over his face as he ignited the torch. John sighed—now seemed the perfect time to intervene.

"Enough! You're not setting fire to our new neighbor's personal clothing!" Without further debate, the doctor marched up and snatched the garment before the blue tip of the blowtorch could meet it. Angrily, Sherlock flipped the mask off and glared at John in disbelief.

"It's an experiment," He growled caustically before reaching out for the bra.

"And this is not yours. This belongs to Ruth," John hissed back as he gestured to the lacy undergarment in his hand. Sherlock gave him an unimpressed look.

"I am well aware it belongs to Ms. Hale. It clearly does not belong to Mrs. Hudson..." Sherlock stated sarcastically as he waited for John to hand it over.

"That's the point! I'm sure "Ms. Hale" won't appreciate you torching or touching her bra for the sake of...whatever you're doing here!" John was met with a serious expression from the man before him...It was made worse by the fact he was still holding a blowtorch...

"That is my only sample, I must have it back," Sherlock stepped forward, his arm reaching for the bra.

"No! If you want one that badly, go and buy one yourself! This is going back to Ruth in the morning before you do any more damage," John turned to leave the kitchen. From behind him, he could hear Sherlock approaching quickly.