Chapter 1: So long, Fucker.

I patted the ground with my paw, checking to make sure that the loose soil properly covered up the spell carrying barrier stones.

The night was somewhat restless today, unlike other times I came to patrol the borders of my pack.

In contrast to the peace and quiet of my territory, the pack adjacent to ours had celebrations in full swing. As far away as I was, I could still hear the sound of laughter from the central grounds of their land.

Turning away from that direction, I trotted my way towards the last barrier stone I needed to check to assure the safety of my lands.

The leaves rustled lightly in the wind and the sound of insects in the night was clearly audible to my heightened senses.

Something didn't feel right at the moment, as if my gut was blaring alarms to me though I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.

A few kilometers away from the next checkpoint, I slowly came to a stop.

My heart was beating fast.

A little too fast, perhaps.

It was almost as if...something was pulling me back towards the border, no, not the border, towards the neighboring pack.

But it wasn't possible for me to intrude there, on any normal day as well but today even more so. Not when they hosted royalty within their walls.

Even as I started to jog faster, the feeling of breathlessness only seemed to increase with the pumping of my heart.

A strange scent was permeating through the forest, strangely inviting. I had yet to identify the smell when I felt my body become weightless.

In the next moment, I slammed into one of the many trees surrounding me. The pain from the collison proved to be quite helpful.

Immediately, my head cleared.

Mate's scent.

Mate's pull.

My mate, he was here.

The force by which I slammed into the tree was clear evidence of the strength of our mate bond. It was pulling me to them. Literally.

I quickly scrambled to my feet. There was no time to waste, I could feel the distance shortening between us and I did not want to be here when he arrived.

I could sense him, an Alpha wolf much stronger than I.

No possible match could've been worse for me. My pack needed me now more than ever, and the last thing I wanted right now was to get myself claimed by an Alpha.

They were extremely rare, and extremely crazy.

Too animal.

I broke into a run, working my way around the forest filled with vegetation. Behind me, a powerful howl rang through the night. It was him, mate.

Was he calling out to me?

Facts proved that he wasn't trying that, as his call was answered by a dozen other subordinate wolves.

He knew I was moving fast away, and now his men knew as well.

Faster, I needed to run faster.

The grass that had always been soft underneath my feet felt like shards of glass as my enitre being tried to resist my motion.

Oh, they were close.

The pounding of feet was getting closer, and I wasn't nearly far enough yet. Still, this forest was like my own, and I knew it as I knew the back of my hand.