Chapter 3: Investigation

I had good new and bad news.

The bad news was that matters kept on escalating.

The good news was that it didn't involve my pack. Yet.

We were very low-key, you see. If my mate really got desperate he might start visiting tiny packs like mine too but chances were that the bigger packs before us would tire him out already.

So I was chilling in my office, calculating how many days worth of food we had left when Dante comes rushing in.

"Listen!"

"Hey, what are you-?"

"I'm sorry I didn't knock but this is a little urgent Emral." His face seemed more than a little panicked as he put down an envelope on my table.

It was an off white colour with a red seal on it, just one look could tell the paper was expensive.

I looked up at him, "And this is..?"

He nervously shook his head, "It has the royal seal on it."

I put down the pen in my hand, slowly straightening up a bit. No wonder a perfectly experienced beta was acting like it was his first day at work.

Picking the envelope up, I turned it around running my thumb on the seal. It was the royal seal alright.

I put my thin-rimmed reading glasses on, unsealing the letter.

There was a single, thick sheet of paper folded into a rectangle inside. Unfolding it, I read.

◇◇◇

You are hereby informed,

By command of your King:

A wolfhunt has been issued for a non-alpha wolf, furcoat gray in colour, last spotted at Cedros Forest two nights ago.

Pheromones smell of freesias, strength above average, likely a warrior wolf.

In the process of searching, if any information regarding such is withheld, severe consequences will have to be faced.

Make sure, no harm to the runaway wolf shall be done, if otherwise, face death.

As per the royal decree, all packs in the state will be under lockdown. No wolf shall leave without direct authorization from the King's guard.

All pack leaders, heed this notice.

Royal Palace,
Altadena Continent.

◇◇◇

My eyes darted to Dante standing in front of me, who looked at me curiously.

"What does it say?"

I looked down at the paper in my hand, one look and he would be able to tell it was me.

Freesias scented pheromones weren't exactly common, not to mention me disappearing for the past two days. Combine this with the additional description and du-dun! It's me, clear as day!

I bit the inside of my mouth, pondering on what I could do.

"Call for a meeting, inform the witch too." I said.