The Circus (part 1)

Droplets land on the tip of my nose from the rim of my hood. The bright, blood-red jacket failing at fully protecting me from the unstopping rain.

Through the haze of my foggy glasses, I can see blinding orange lights- banners of many colours joining together at the point of a large tent coloured like a cloud on a sunny Saturday in June.

"The Circus" lines the top of a plain banner.

The sound of squelching mud underneath me doesn't do much to distract me from the conversations happening in front and behind. Chittering teeth on show and fidgeting fingers finding shelter in deep pockets, I move forward.

"Ah! Come right back here! You'll get yourself hurt!" a strong voice yells from a distance.

A run of giggles crosses past me- which in turn causes me to let out my own exhale of breath and a giggle.

"Catch me if you can!"

The child's upbeat nature, despite the storm that seems to be roaring on, sends a bit of warmth my way. The excitement seems contagious as I remember why I am waiting under the crying clouds- sugar, fire, clowns, trapeze artists and much, much more await me.

A cacophony of sound almost deafens me inside the tent, even before the show has begun. The same kid that was running around in the cold is now sitting in front of me, occupied with a large serving of strawberry pink cotton candy- thanks to the people dressed in red and white stripes making their way around the tent with magical sweets of awe.

"Last chance! The show is about to begin!"

After my own large serving of Smurf blue cotton candy, the lights dim...