Chapter 2

SpongeBob had woken up with a grin on his face. "Time to greet the day Gary!" Gary looked up at him.
"Meow."
"Alrighty then!" SpongeBob said with an even bigger smile.

SpongeBob jumped out of his bed and sprang downstairs. He grabbed Gary's food bag and filled his bowl. "We need to get you some more food, huh Gary?"
"Meow," Gary replied in agreement.
"Todays going to be a good day Gary I can just feel it."

He shut the door behind him and started walking to work. I hope Squidward isn't late again, Mr. Krabs is threatening to fire him.

SpongeBob checks his watch. 6:30. If he leaves now, he'll make it just in time for his 7 o'clock shift. SpongeBob couldn't drive yet. SpongeBob, the number one rule follower, could not follow simple driving instructions. He was not sure why, but he never found a liking to Mrs. Puff. He didn't think she liked him very much either. So, you can see why, after all these years, he still isn't able to drive a boat.

As SpongeBob ponders these thoughts, he arrives at the Krusty Krab, unlocks the door, walks by the cashier desk, and switches on the lights. Squidward was not here yet, which isn't very unusual. But that's not why SpongeBob was confused.

"Mr. Krabs?" he yelled out. Maybe he's too busy counting money. SpongeBob thinks to himself. "Mr. Kraabss?" He yells louder, walking towards his office. The door is locked. Mr Krabs isn't here either.

SpongeBob stands in confusion for a second, then walks to the back room to grab the mop. He might as well clean if no ones here. Plus, they open in 45 minutes. He rings the mop, then starts wiping down the floors. SpongeBob was very thorough in his cleaning job. He made sure to wipe down every nook and cranny. Inside the wall, under the tables, even on the ceiling.

Once he's done,  he puts the mop away and checks the time. 7:55. Before he even has time to think about it, Mr. Krabs jingles the door handles, and let's himself in.

"Sorry I'm late boyo," Mr. Krabs says in a panicked tone. "I was busy dealing with a hooligan."

"What happened Mr. Krabs," SpongeBob says concerned.

"Some kid scammed me out me money boyo!"

"Oh no Mr. Krabs! Did you get the guy back?"

"Of course I did! I'd never let a man steal me money." Mr. Krabs says with pride. "Is Squidward here yet?" Mr. Krabs looks toward the cashier desk. "No, of course not. That boys about to get fired if he doesn't start showing up on time."

SpongeBob felt his stomach twist. It shouldn't matter, but just the idea of Squidward being fired made him upset. SpongeBob could never imagine not having Squidward there.

"He better get here soon! And you better start opening up. No time or money will be wasted on my watch," Mr. Krabs startled SpongeBob as he walked to the back where the grill was.  In his mind, all he was hoping was that Squidward would show up any minute.

All of a sudden, Squidward comes walking through the door. Not in a hurry to be there at all. As Mr. Krabs lectures him, SpongeBob questions how Squidward could not want to show up for work. How is that even possible? But he didn't really care, Squidward was here now, and it was all okay.