Rooster 1.3

"Hey, Jo. Could you come home? There's someone you need to meet"
_______________________________________

After she said goodbye to Rooster, who decided to meet her back at their home, Johanna returned to the bar to pick up her jacket from the stool she was sitting on just minutes before.

Immediately after entering the building, her eyes found Hangman's, who watched her walking in.

Johanna knew exactly what he was thinking, and that made her heart feel like it was being pricked at by a million needles. 

He was hoping that Rooster broke up with Johanna. For good.

But he didn't. And Johanna was happy that they were back together.

Except, she wasn't completely happy. If she was, she wouldn't be feeling the way that she was at that moment. Guilty, selfish, totally horrible.

She led Hangman on, used him to forget the pain of losing her boyfriend.

And now she has developed intense feelings for him, constantly thinking about him since the night at the parking lot.

She looked away, wanting to push away the feelings and thoughts she continued to have about him, only to be met with Phoenix.

Her eyes were red, face stained with tears. She had approached her from her place at the counter, where she had just been crying her eyes out to Bob.

"I'm sorry," she sobbed out, and Johanna looked between her and Bob who watched his friend in her vulnerable state with a sad expression. "I'm so, so sorry Jo, I didn't mean to say it-it just slipped out in conversation and-"

She was cut off by Johanna wrapping her arms around her and pulling her gently towards herself.

"I'm not angry with you, Nat" she said, resting her chin on Phoenix's shoulder. 

Phoenix hid her face against Johanna's own shoulder, taking deep breaths to try to stop crying.

"You're not?" she asked between sobs.

"No" Johanna whispered, "you are my best friend and I'm not going to argue with you over a mistake. He was going to find out eventually and it's better to have to deal with it now rather than later"

Phoenix seemed to calm down at Johanna's words, softly sniffling into her shoulder.

Johanna looked up at Bob, who sent her an appreciative smile. She returned it before looking away.

Once again her eyes rested on Hangman who, thankfully, was occupied and playing pool with Payback with his back to her. 

At the same time that she was watching him they were having a conversation, which a moment later had Johanna hurriedly looking away as Hangman turned around to look at her.

Johanna placed her hands on her friends shoulders when she calmed down enough to pull away. She asked, "you okay?"

Phoenix nodded, wiping her face with the back of her hand.

Johanna smiled at her before letting her go and picking up her jacket.

"I have to go, dad called and said I need to meet someone" she said as she was putting on her jacket, "probably one of his Top Gun wingmen, or something"

"Well, hopefully you don't get too bored this time" Phoenix joked.

Johanna laughed, clearly remembering the time when she met Admiral Kazansky, better known as Iceman. Although, he wasn't an Admiral yet at that time. Maverick called Johanna home to meet him, and after being introduced and having a conversation with the current Admiral she sat in the room staring off into space, bored out of her mind because Maverick and Iceman were talking about things she wasn't interested or involved in.