two.

CHAPTER TWO

❝The moon stared at me through sprinkled nighttime stardust and I alone smile.

Jay Long

✦✧✦

Luna's never been inside a security office before. It's rather more bland than she thought it'd be. She absentmindedly braids a strand of her hair, watching Nicky play Angry Birds on his phone.

When she and Nicky showed up at the museum an hour and a half ago, they walked in on Larry getting yelled at by his new boss, which was a bit uncomfortable. Nicky was disappointed, because it's been somewhat of a trend the past few years: Larry gets an exciting new job, and then a few weeks later (sometimes days), he's fired. It's one of the main reasons his mom, Erica, left Larry.

So Luna bought Nicky a coffee down the block, and they sat there for a while, until Larry came and found them, apologizing profusely and begging Nicky to come to work with him that night, so that he could show him something. (Luna was invited, too, of course, reader; she'd have left if she wasn't.)

And so here they are: waiting in the security office for the museum to close, everyone else to leave, and Larry to retrieve them. Nicky growls at his phone, and Luna leans over to see. "What, is the great Nicholas Daley stuck on level ten?"

"Shut up." But Nicky smiles half-heartedly. "And for your information, it's level four-hundred-and-three."

"It's been a long time." Luna checks her watch; it's been forty minutes since they first walked into this sad little office. "Maybe we should go check on him?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure." Nicky leads the way out of the office, and when they reach the main hall, they hear Larry, his voice raised.

"No! Rebecca!"

"Good night, Larry." And then a beautiful woman in a red top strides past them, her heeled boots clicking on the marble floors, her dark curls bouncing angrily around her shoulders.

"No, I'm not making fun of you!" Larry calls after her, standing just in front of the Theodore Roosevelt display, a lost look on his face. "Rebecca!"

But the woman disappears through the revolving doors and is gone.

Larry sighs and drops his head into his hands. Aww. Luna feels bad for him, regardless of whatever just happened, and she pushes Nicky out into the open. "Go," she whispers.