Chapter 2: Life and Work in Dubai

Arriving in Dubai and adjusting to the new environment

In February 2007, I arrived in Dubai with no plans of working. My main purpose was to visit my mother, but eventually, I ended up staying and pursuing opportunities in the city. We lived in Satwa, and at that time, my mother's business was growing. Adjusting to the new environment was a challenge, especially the summer heat, which I was not used to. However, I eventually adapted and started to embrace the lifestyle and opportunities that Dubai offered.

Work experiences in various industries

My first job in Dubai was as an accountant in a real estate company. It was a great learning experience, but after a year, I felt that it wasn't my passion, and I wanted to explore other opportunities. I then worked as an accountant for my mother's business, Echo Corner, which was starting to pick up. Being a part of my mother's business gave me a sense of fulfillment and sparked my interest in entrepreneurship.

As I continued to pursue different job opportunities, I also found other interests. I started to develop a love for photography and eventually worked as a photographer. Later on, I became a trainer for accounting, photography, business management, and Photoshop, where I had the chance to share my knowledge and skills to others.

Challenges faced as an OFW

As an overseas Filipino worker, one of the biggest challenges was the cost of living in Dubai, which was very expensive. To survive, I had to have multiple sources of income, which was also a common practice among other OFWs. The good thing was that my family was with me, and we shared the expenses. My mother, father, sister, and grandmother were all with me in Dubai, and we helped each other out. However, being new to the UAE, I also faced the challenge of not being familiar with the laws and regulations, which could sometimes be overwhelming.

Despite the challenges, Dubai provided a lot of opportunities and opened many doors for me. It was where I discovered my passion for entrepreneurship, which eventually led me to pursue starting my own business. In the next chapter, I will share my journey from being an employee to becoming a business owner and establishing the Filipino Institute in Dubai.