Chapter Two

Duncan Quagmire tossed and turned in his bed, pulling the pale blue cover off, then pulling it back over him and then pushing it off him again. He was considering sneaking down into the library, but, judging by his mother's shouting that he could currently hear, either Quigley or Isadora had already been caught down there.

His father burst into his room, an urgent, almost wild look on his face. Duncan shook his head at him and tutted playfully. His father often overreacted, so one of his siblings had probably ripped a book and his father felt the need to come and tell him.

"What have my rowdy siblings done now?" Duncan teased, a grin on his face as he sat up in bed.

"A fire." his father said.

He furrowed his brow. "My siblings set a fire?" he guessed, shrugging.

"No, Duncan." he shook his head. "A fire. In the house."

His back went straighter and the playfulness vanished from his face. He leaped out of his bed. So that was what his mother had been shouting to one of his siblings. Duncan suddenly found tears in his eyes as he stumbled over to his father, grabbing his dark green commonplace book on the way.

"What about Quigley?" he asked. "Isadora?"

His father gave him a sad smile and put his arm around him as he led him out of his bedroom.

"Your mother has warned Quigley and is currently getting Isadora." he reassured.

"What about the house?" Duncan asked.

"I'm sorry, but the safety of you, Isadora, and Quigley, is more important than the house." his father said as he gave him a quick squeeze.

He nodded, a lump in his throat.

Duncan's father smiled at him. "Duncan, you, Quigley, and Isadora are very observant, adventurous, and creative children. Brave and intelligent too. I know that you are strong enough to survive this."

He nodded, but then coughed. The smoke was blocking their path.

"Get ready." his father said grimly. He removed his hand from Duncan's back, and instead, he held his son's hand. He pulled him through the smoke.

Duncan let out a yell at how hot the smoke was, and he probably woke up the whole street.

His father opened the door and practically shoved him outside, before following Duncan out.

He breathed in the fresh air that he had never really appreciated before. He watched as the house began to crumble.

"Mother." Duncan whispered, a tear rolling down his cheek. "Quigley. Isadora."

His father looked at him. "I'm going to find your mother and siblings." he said, before darting back in the house.