Chapter Two

Once the door was shut and both teens were certain they were concealed inside and wouldn't be seen, Jacob gave Emma a look through the barely illuminated space and quickly catching onto it's meaning the blonde peculiar held out her palm and lit a spark that soon turned into a small flame.

"Where are we?" Emma then asked, breaking the eerie silence that had fallen upon them both. As she spoke her hand carefully drifted across the open space in front of her and the room came into view.

It wasn't a grand place by any means, but then again it seemed nowhere in this slum could be called that. Yet it was certainly cleaner then some of the other places the two had witnessed since being here.

It seemed they had both thrown themselves through the front door of a house and were now standing in a hallway, the colour of which was a bleak mix of black, red and grey.

"I'm not sure, I just got a feeling and threw us in," Jacob tried to explain as he began to survey their surroundings, taking in each detail and trying to locate the thing that had drawn him in this particular direction.

Though quickly he came up short as it seemed there was very little to take notice off, aside from the old and peeling wallpaper and some dusty glazed photos that hung on the wall, their images practically invisible to the human eye.

"Who's there!" A new voice joined the conversation and both teens' heads quickly whipped around in the direction that the voice had come from. The words were short, simple and loud but something about the feminine noise didn't sound like a threat but instead a concern.

When they'd both turned to the direction of the female voice, their gazes had landed on a stair case that stood by the wall and standing atop it was a woman's form, only up to her chest was visible, her head instead was covered by the upstairs and the angle they looked from.

Footsteps began to sound throughout the house as the unknown woman began to descend the old staircase. Her footfalls were loud and quick paced and quickly Emma and Jake were forming defensive positions.

"Get behind me!" Emma shouted, quickly pushing Jacob behind her and igniting her flame to twice its original size, she was preparing for a fight and as the strange woman descended the last few steps, her face, even with Emma's light, was still concealed in a partial darkness so none of her features were easily identifiable.

Quickly the situation escalated when everyone in the hallway came to feel threatened and all it took for Emma to finally strike, was the concealed female sharply turning herself to face the two intruders that stood in her home.

Emma's movements were quick and her hand that held the flame was aiming to grasp and set alight this woman's shoulder, only it seemed the woman's movements were even quicker and she was easily able to evade the fire that was coming to burn her but not before the light illuminated several things.

"Emma," the word was almost inaudible but any person, peculiar or not, is born programmed to recognise when their name is said and this was how Emma was back where she began, standing only slightly in front of Jacob with her flame now sitting dormant in her palm.

"What did you say?" Emma questioned quickly, her voice was a little hoarse and sounded out of breathe, with a rasp as she harshly questioned the possible threat in front of them.

"Do you know her?" After minutes of remaining quiet and not doing anything, Jacob spoke up standing close to Emma's back and saying the question into her ear. Still with a sense of fear left inside of him and uncertainty as to what would become of them, he knew to keep the question quick and to the point.

"Know, I've never..." Emma began to say and for a moment she let her guard down to face Jacob whilst she spoke, only her words were soon cut off by a voice, that stood between gentle and firm but somewhat familiar.

"Your Emma Bloom correct?" The woman who was still standing by the opposite wall asked, her tone authoritative but once again there seemed to be no threat hidden behind the question.

"Who's asking?" Emma asked sharply, extending her flame out as far as her arm could stretch and expanding it to its full capacity, trying to get a glimpse of the woman's face again.

"I believe that's a yes," The authoritative voice spoke again and then the sound of heeled shoes meeting floor boards sounded out and when Jacob and Emma squinted their eyes enough they could see the woman's form becoming clearer with each step she took.

"Now if you'll follow me, we have much to catch up on." Her tone left very little room for argument though this time it almost sounded friendly perhaps. Now that she stood in front of Emma's flame every detail of this woman was visible and quickly both peculiars began to look her other, assessing every detail.

The woman didn't appear to be greatly tall, perhaps standing at five foot eight, though her heels would have been giving her some extra height. Her hair appeared to be brown with odd streaks of black through, though it was up in an old style and was hard to tell. Her eyes were a forest green, yet they were every bit piercing with a tamed power that was hiding behind them.

The final thing of note before she began to walk off down the hallway, was her choice of clothes. They were distinctly Edwardian, a white high neck blouse and a long brown almost black walking skirt, made up the majority of the outfit, though neither teen looked any closer at her wardrobe. Though both found the time period of clothing odd, seeing as it was only 1853 in Devils Acre.

"Are you both not following," She called out from the end of the short hallway before turning into a room off to the side. It seemed that curiosity had gotten the better of both Jacob and Emma, as with only a single look, being shared between them both, they followed this mysterious woman. A sinking feeling resting in both their guts.
________________________
Hey everyone, so here we go a new character has been introduced, sorry for the slow update. Until next time fellow readers.