13 City of Brotherly Love

I look between Spencer and the door, for a few seconds, thinking I wouldn't even be out here if Aaliyah could mind her business

I look between Spencer and the door, for a few seconds, thinking I wouldn't even be out here if Aaliyah could mind her business. But a part of me is so glad she can't keep her nose out of anything.

I take a deep breath as my thoughts run wild.

"Please don't make me regret this," I say lowly and he gives me a cheesy grin as I try not to think about the consequences to starting a friendship with a guy who already betrayed my trust.

"Thank you," he says and I give him a small smile as I remember what I came out here for in the first place. "So what did your friend tell you she needed from the car?"

I laugh. "Chapstick. But something tells me that was a lie"

"Probably not," he says with an innocent smile.

"Can't believe you won my best friend over in a matter of minutes," I joke.

"Your friend is solid. She made it clear she wasn't doing it for me. She did it for you." His words make me smile as I think about the sass my friend must've given him to get me here.

"Yeah well, she probably only did it so I wouldn't back out on this pajama party she's all worked up about." I say.

"Why would you back out?" He asks as he raises his eyebrow for a response.

"I don't know—- I guess my social battery is just a little drained."

"I can help you with that," he tells me. "And I can have you back before anyone even recognizes you're missing."

I roll my eyes. "I'm supposed to be getting chapstick. Remember?"

"But what good is it to be present, if you're drained?" He counters and I don't think he's taking no for an answer. So I breathe in and breathe out before shaking my head yes.

"Okay, but I have to be back by nine," I tell him and he opens the lobby door.

We walk to his car and he helps me inside before we take off.

•••

As we drive, he doesn't do much talking and I can truly appreciate a quiet ride as I admire the city buildings and blue collar workers traveling by feet.

"I'm a long way from home," I say and he can only chuckle at my words as he finds a parking spot. "Wait, is that the love statue? I always seen it on tv. But this is my first time seeing it up close and personal."

We get out of the car and I chuckle as I watch him clip his keys to the loop on his belt buckle closest to his pants zipper.

"What's funny?" He asks and I look away shyly.

"You're the only guy, other than my ex, that I've seen clip their keys there." I admit.

"It's the only place I don't lose them, to be honest."