EIGHT

1993Queens, New York[Queensbridge]

1993
Queens, New York
[Queensbridge]

ZARA

       "Those three weeks flew by so fast. I don't want y'all to leave." Dominique expressed to Zara and Janae as they spent their last night together watching movies in Dominique's bedroom. 

"I know, ima miss it down here. The food.. the people. We definitely gotta come back for Christmas." Janae looked over at Zara who agreed with her.

"I wish we could stay for Jahkai's birthday. I know it's gonna be mad people over there." Zara said as she munched on some popcorn.

Dominique gave her a weird look and chuckled. "Someone's been hanging around Jahkai a little too much. Hear Ms. California over here starting to sound just like him."

"Yeah, she been smoking her brains out with him and Malik too." Janae added while her eyes stayed glued to the screen.

Zara just snickered and rolled her eyes. Ever since Omari's party, Zara had grown a friendship with the boys, mainly Jahkai. She never thought it would happen, but it did. She spent more time with him than she did with the girls. They didn't mind, though.

Jahkai even ended up telling Zara about the drugs Omari forced him to sell, in which she swore not to say anything to Dominique. On a few occasions when Jahkai's mother would be at work, Jahkai would invite Zara over and teach her how to weigh and bag the drugs. It helped him get the job done faster since Malik didn't want any parts of it. It also made the two get to know each other better and actually form a real friendship.

"I'm surprised Carmen ain't try to bite ya head off yet." Dominique teased Zara and grabbed a handful of popcorn. "That girl is crazy about Kai, but stays fucking every nigga that walks past her."

"I don't get it. Why's he still messing with her?" Zara asked with a slight attitude.

Dominique shrugged. "He's dumb as fuck, that's why. I've been tryna tell him, but he don't wanna listen to shit I gotta say. So I just let him do him." She stuffed her mouth with the popcorn.

Zara shook her head and brought her attention back to the movie. A few moments later, there was a knock on the front door. "I'll get it!" Dominique's mom could be heard scurrying to the door from outside the bedroom.

"I hope Jahkai and Malik win that shit, yo. That would be the best birthday gift for Kai." Dominique changed the subject to the MC amateur night that was taking place in two days.

"Jahkai let me hear a bit of their song. It's pretty good from what I've heard so far. They finally got passed the 'life's a bitch and then ya die' line they be spitting to everyone." Zara laughed.