A Baby

·········································

Chaos reigned over the city as a man with the ability to seemingly manipulate small portions of stone and cement tore holes into roads which out of control cars fell into. Street lights were thrown around by the cement they were connected to and people - not many - were suddenly impaled by various stone spikes.

As you looked around at all the chaos and bloodshed, out of the corner of your eye you saw a woman and her baby running towards you. Adrenaline running through your body, you quickly ran to her, "Ma'am follow me, we're guiding evacuees to the statehouse-"

"No, no, there's no time," the woman frantically answered you, her eyes filled with immense fear as she looked down at the baby in her arms, which was starting to stir and cry.

You looked at her in confusion.

"Please." A sob fell from her lips, making her next words strained, "Take her."

You furrowed your brows, confused even more until she carefully brought her daughter from against her chest and handed her to you.

"Keep her safe for me. Please."

Just as you had taken a hold of the swaddled up baby, you heard a gravelly voice come from behind the frightened woman.

"I've finally found you."

She had barely even let out a breath before a stony spike was protruding from her chest.

You jumped back instantly, putting your hand behind the baby's head in both support and instinct.

"Guys," you breathed shakily into the earpiece, struggling to process what had just happened in the previous few seconds. "I need-I need backup over here, I have to go back to the Quinjet."

"Do you need first aid treatment?" You heard Cap ask

"No...but I have a baby."

"I'm sorry, you have a what?" Tony says incredulously. "Where on earth did you get a baby?"

"I mean I got it here-"

"NOT WHAT I MEANT." You heard Tony sigh into the earpiece. "Just... Get back to the Quinjet."

You ran to the jet and as you got closer to it you saw the back open and Loki was standing there ready for whatever situation had happened

Though he certainly wasn't expecting this.

"What in the name of Helheim are you doing with a baby?!" He asked quickly.

"I don't know, it all happened so fast," you argued back, running into the Quinjet as quickly as possible to make sure the infant was in a safer place. "One minute, I'm trying to help a woman out, and the next, she's handing me a child that I have no idea what to do with, then dying right in front of me!"

"Well, I suppose that's one way to run away from your responsibilities," Loki mutters.

You deadpan at him before sighing and wiping sweat off your forehead. As you lower your hand to readjust how you are holding the infant, you see thick blood covering the back of your hand, no doubt from the mother.

Horror dawns on you as you see that you're covered in it, even the thick blanket the baby was swaddled in.

Seeing the panic on your face, Loki quickly used his seidr to clean the blood off both you and the child in your arms. "Alright, let's see what I can do for now.." Loki said, looking around the jet for anything he could use to comfort the infant so that someone wouldn't have to carry her until they got back to the tower.