Chapter 23 - The Beast

(TW// Mentions of guns, violence, death, Details of injury)

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

Me, Clive and Chester stalked carefully through one of the buildings that we had decided to quickly search. So far, out of the two buildings we've already looted, we've found nothing of use... which is disappointing to say the least.

I sighed heavily and leaned back onto one of the dust covered desks, watching as the pair continue searching through the various boxes and containers. Neither of them seem as defeated as I feel just yet, but I'll admit that I lost my hope the second I seen how inactive the area looks.

I'm starting to think that carrying these heavy duffel bags around has just been a waste of energy. Surely if Chester knew of this place, then other people did too and who knows how long it's been dead around here for.

If there ever were any weapons left behind, other people have probably claimed them by now.

"Did anyone hear that?" Clive asked, stalling his movements which pulled me from my thoughts immediately.

"Hear what?" I asked curiously.

As if on cue there was an unmistakably loud metallic clang, followed by a spine chilling roar that made all of our eyes almost escape from their sockets.

Without hesitation, I leaped from my position and sprinted out of the doorway, towards the direction that Grace and Darren had went off in. Chester and Clive were hot on my heels as we approached a group of old disheveled tents. We could hear the angered grunts of something big getting louder as we eventually turned the blind corner.

We each came to an immediate halt, our breath simultaneously hitching in our throats. My heart even felt like it stopped for a moment, before once again racing as the adrenaline kicked back in.

"What the fuck is that!?" I yelled out of shock at the sight before me.

Towering over Grace and Darren is an angry and obviously mutated infected. I've heard of certain people who's genes caused the infection to react differently than it usually would... but I never imagined it could be something as dramatic this!

The thing stood easily around 7ft tall and was bulging with large cordycep growths in various areas, larger than I've ever seen on an infected body before. The face of the beast looked like one huge cluster of fungus, no human features remained barre it's wide and gruesome jaw.

The unbalanced stance of the monster, mixed with its grotesque features of its smushed face, told me that it couldn't see very well... but the loud sniffing huffs and grunts, and the way it's head snapped towards the sound of my voice, told us it could definitely hear us.

"Kenzi! RUN!"

I listened to Graces instruction without a second thought and ran as fast as my legs could carry me towards the open shipping container, just off to the left of us. Once inside, I looked around and tried to locate something that I could use as a weapon at range, throwing various containers and boxes around with no luck.

My staff is useless right now! I need something with more power!

The loud thud of heavy footsteps rang clear as the beast made its way towards the noises I'm making, grunting loudly as it made an approach on the shipping unit.

The rapid pop of two suppressed shots travelled effortlessly through the air and the thudding stopped for a moment, followed by a large roar from the beast.

"Grace..." I whispered to myself in panic, knowing that she's the only one with a gun.

"Come get some then, ugly motherfucker!" Her voice screamed over its ferocious growl before being followed by another series of shots.