1 ☾⋆。°✩

Night was rough. I knew this first hand, but at least I also knew how to soften it. It was different from when I kneaded dough till it comforted my hands. It was also different from how I tenderly massaged oils into the knots of my skin. I had a deep fear of the night. This fear manifested itself from my unruly imagination, I didn't mean for my dark brain to overwhelm me in paranoia. But here we are.

    As I was saying, I knew how to soften it. I circled through my small cottage and lit my candle collection ablaze. I let in Tofer (My baby lamb) to hear the sound of another being in my home. I read books about girls in clouds and princesses who had a knight to cling on to. I was particularly fond of reading about various plants and flowers. This is how I got through the harshness of the night at least until sleep took me. I had grown very accustomed to this routine.

    Until a man showed up on my doorstep.

    I would have liked to believe Tofer had finally grown enough to hold his weight against the rest of the forest creatures, but even I could not kid myself. I wasn't unaccustomed to what a man (especially one as big and overbearing as this one) looked like.

    I surveyed him. He laid like he was dead and awaiting his coffin. His fingers curled into his large palm. He was scantily clad, only wearing thin and sheer materials. I quickly got to work by struggling to drag his figure into my home. I knew much about myself already, but it was at this moment I truly understood how insanity stemmed from stupidity. I was absolutely insane.

    I set him against the side of my couch and touched my hand to his forehead. I was so excited for my new visitor to wake up.

❂❂❂❂❂ (Soren's Pov.)

    I opened my eyes to be blessed, my body had never felt as rejoiced as this. In front of me was a woman who resembled the sun. She sat against a wall directly in front of me lazily thumbing the edge of a book and occasionally letting out a sigh. I shifted to sit upright and her eyes immediately snapped towards mine.

    "Oh wonderful, you're awake!" She exclaimed. Her voice wasn't high pitched but smooth like a feathery breeze.

    "Ah, yes. By chance could you explain to me why I am in your home?"

    "I'm not too sure about that myself. Judging from the tattooed sun on your neck I assume you work with the patrollers.  I saw you slumped on my doorstep...some time ago." she said after pausing to think.

    My memory came back to me. I remember feeling such an overwhelming and dizzying urge to head towards this direction during my routine check in with the patrollers. An urge I couldn't even explain now that my thoughts had come back to me. All I knew is that it had to be her.

    "Oh! I almost forgot. I made...um." She shot to her feet as if she was a ball of energy. She slowly turned towards me at the end with her face scrunched in confusion. "Ah! I made you breakfast. Sorry I lose my senses easily." she giggled.

    "Thank you, and also thank you for caring for me throughout the night." I said after rising to my feet. Her home seemed dwarfed compared to my being. She smiled brightly at me before motioning for me to follow her. I did as she said and ducked my head at the arches of her doorways.

     In front of me now stood a table with fresh bread and mashed potatoes with a selection of vegetables and jars filled with fruit.

    "Wow..." I breathed out.

    "Wow indeed. I really outdid myself this time, heavens, I should work as the king's chef." she mumbled to herself before gracing me with another laugh. My ears perked when she mentioned the king. I had the feeling she didn't have the slightest clue of him.

    We sat together and after thanking her many times for her food we dug in. Maybe I had gone mad because I knew my actions were crazy. especially for someone with my title. Eating food from an unknown person was basically asking for an easy death. I don't even care. In fact I believe I'm drunk on her presence.

    "So...I would like to say I'm doing this out of the sweet kindness in my heart, which don't get me wrong, I'm capable of...if you had happened to be a woman. But since you're not, might as well seize this opportunity." she rambled while averting eye contact with me. Amusement bloomed in my chest.

    "I'll do whatever you ask of me." I spoke genuinely, putting my utensils down. Surprise softened her features. I took this moment to take note of her full lips and dark almond eyes. I also noticed the few freckles that made a home of her face.

    "Great! You see, I own this land and it gets boring being here all alone, and keeping it in proper care does take some strength that I've noticed I lacked. Bummer. I was wondering if you could come by whenever you're free, I know you patrollers are busy, and help me out if you had the time." She spewed out before stuffing her mouth full of food. I chuckled at her antics and leaned my head towards her.

    "Of course." I agreed firmly and allowed myself to smile at her.

—-
authors note:
hope y'all enjoyed this, quite frankly i'm too lazy but be expecting longgg authors notes later :3.