07| Feels Like I'm Drowning

Charlie's POV: 

Charlie's POV: 

"For the better?" questions Julie. She gives me a questioning look. I look away, not sure what else to say, my mind going back to the night of the party.

After Victor dropped Julie off, he came back to my apartment in the worst mood.

"I thought you were going home," I say to him.

"I was but I needed to talk to you first."

"Okay?"

"It's about Juliet-"

"Dude, I told you that we're not-"

"I like her, a lot," Victor says, "and from what I can see you guys are close."

"Not exactly," I say, though I'm not too sure. Lately it feels like she's the only person I talk to or think about. Although I know that I kinda did that to myself, by pushing to be near her back on the first of school.

"I think you guys being close is affecting what me and Juliet had."

"I don't think I'm catching on to what you're trying to tell me cuz."

"Just stay clear from her for a while."

"Victor-"

"Please cuz, do it for me. I mean you owe me; with all that stuff I've done for you with your dad, it's not like it was easy. And I'm not saying to get away from her all completely, just until she and I make it official, you know."

I should say no, but he's right. He's done a lot for me when it comes to my dad. I can't just ignore it. Besides, if I continue to stay close to Julie, I think I'd feel guilty. I look into Victor's eyes and say, "Okay."

For the rest of the weekend and most of the following week I steer clear of Julie. Though I am tempted to respond to her texts I don't. For a moment I think I'd make it through the week until I find her crouched behind an artifact hiding from her dad.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Julie says, interrupting my train of thought. I look up at her.

"It's complicated Julie," I simply say and start heading out of the backroom.

"By complicated do mean Victor?"

I stop walking and turn around to face her. How did she know?

When I don't say anything, she speaks up, "So it is about Victor."

I sigh. "Look, he likes you. Like a lot. And he's my cousin and I'm just looking out for him."

"Looking out for him just like he looks out for you?" she questions, a sarcastic tone in her voice.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means you don't owe Victor anything. He can't tell you who you can and can't hang out with. And I get his feelings but that has nothing to do with you and me."