14| Let's Go to Class Love Birds

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Let's Go to Class Love Birds

Charlie's POV:

I watch as Julie drives away before going back inside. In the dining room my uncle is putting the dishes away. He looks up at me.

"Everything okay? Vic was acting weird, no?"

I sigh. "I think I ruined it even more. I'm gonna go talk to him."

When I get to Victor's room the door is locked. I knock but there is no answer.

"Victor," I say, "Can we please talk?"

Moments pass and still nothing.

"Victor please." I plead. Nothing.

I sigh again. "Look, I'm really sorry," I say, staring at his door, "I wanted to tell you the right way. I never wanted you to find out the way you did."

Silence.

"You were right, all those times when you said I liked her. But I didn't deny it to betray you. I denied it because in those moments I didn't realize it. I would've told you had I known. You know I would never betray you right? You're my cousin, my brother. Basically the only one that really knows me. Please Victor, open the door."

My phone buzzes after a few seconds.

Victor: We'll talk Monday. Tired.

"I'll see you on Monday then," I say then turn my wheel and walk away. He needs time, so I'll wait.

***

Julie's POV:

When Monday rolls around I am nervous to get to class. The last time I saw Victor he looked so betrayed. The expression on his face replayed in my mind over and over again all weekend. Charlie said they would talk Monday and try to fix things but I'm to speak to Victor since we're in a group project together for our first class.

Victor is already sitting down when I take my seat beside him. Jared, our other partner, sits not long after me. My eyes travel up to Victor's face unsure of what to expect but a bit shocked to see that he's looking at me smiling. It's not forced or awkward.

"Good morning," he tells me.

I blink. "Morning," I respond. "Um about Friday -"

"It's okay," he says, "I overreacted."

"Victor I-"

"Don't worry about it Juliet. Really I'm fine."

I give him a wary look. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he says, "I mean it." I nod, not wanting to push.

When Charlie arrives he comes over to Victor.

"Hey, do you think we could talk after class?" Charlie asks.

"No need," Victor says and looks up at him, "We're good."

Charlie stares at him confused. "I just want to clear things up and -"

Victor looks down at his desk and lets out an exasperated chuckle then looks between Charlie and I. "Guys I'm fine. We're good. No talk needed, I get it. And I mean it, there's nothing to worry about. So can we get past this so it doesn't become awkward?"

I look up at Charlie. He nods. "Yeah, sure," he says, "Whatever you want." With that said Charlie walks toward his chair and takes a seat.

The rest of class goes by rather smoothly. When the bell rings Victor, Charlie and I walk out together.