Book 2: Chapter 8

-HER-

"You look lovely, Ophelia and you're just on time. He's waiting for you outside," James told me before he led me towards the garden.

My breaths were shallow and I could hear my heart drumming in my chest as I glanced at him for any clue about what was happening. I wanted to ask him so many questions but I didn't know where to begin. I was hyper aware of every second ticking away as he led me towards the garden.

"Wh-where is my father?" I asked him.

"There he is!" James pointed outside. I instantly spotted my father standing outside, waiting for me.

I saw the decorations with flowers and wondered how did they managed to set it all up so quickly. I had been here in the morning and there was nothing at that time. My father's eyes lit up as soon as he saw me in the white dress.

"Oh my sweet little princess, you look so beautiful1" He commented, scanning me form head to toes, not because he was my father and was overcome by intense emotions to see his only daughter in a wedding dress. Instead, he looked me in a way as if he wanted to make sure that everything looked right but for all the wrong reasons. He fixed my hair with a small frown on his face before giving me an approving nod.

"Father, I—" I tried to tell him that I was not feeling ready about this whole ordeal but he didn't led me speak.

"It would be alright, my sweet little princess. I cannot tell you how much I had waited for this day!" He told me with a spark in his eyes. He got carried away as he continued to speak, "You have no idea how much preparation went into this. I had to fight tooth and nail for this, for something that should have been given to me earlier by the prin—" He stopped talking abruptly as soon as he realised that I was still there, listening to him.

He gave me a dismissive smile but it was already too late. Looking around at all the wedding preparations, I didn't have to wonder too long.

He lied to be yesterday.

The wedding was most likely to take place today but he told me a different date to catch me off guard. The feeling of intense loathing gripped my heart as my father held my hand and took me to the spot where the ceremony was going to take place. I spotted the guests who were all staring at me. I didn't recognise anyone present until my eyes locked with an awfully familiar pair of grey eyes.

The owner of those grey eyes turned pale in response to seeing me. I stopped walking for a second as soon as I realised that it was truly him and my eyes weren't playing a tick on me.

Sensing my brief pause, my father tugged hard at my hand to ensure I keep up with him. As we walked me towards the aisle, I was frantically searching the guest crowd for him. It was my best guess that if Filth was here then he must be here too.

"Look ahead, Ophelia," My father warned me with a cold tone but that didn't stop me from scanning the crowd. The more I looked at those unknown faces, the more it scared me. My mouth was turning dry and my ears were ringing. I couldn't focus on anything but I didn't stop looking for him. My eyes jumped from face to face, getting me more impatient every time it turned out to be anyone else but him.

"Look ahead," My father hissed under his breath again. This time, he sounded audibly annoyed. I gathered my nerves and looked ahead as we finally rounded towards the aisle.

Up ahead, waiting for me at the end of the aisle with the minister was my soon to be husband. He was wearing black from head to toe but I couldn't see his face because he had his back facing everyone. Despite that, I couldn't help but notice that something about him felt familiar...a bit too familiar.