The Companion

Important note
Hello everyone. It has been quite a while. I'm so sorry for the radio silence for the past couple of months, it had been a rather stressful school year with a lot of very disappointing turns but it's great to be back.

With this is being my second update in row, I'm hoping to stay consistent with this schedule.

I had decided to place this note above instead of the end of the chapter in hopes to get your opinion on me submitting this book for the Wattys this year. To be honest, I hadn't put much thought into it, even when they had opened it up to ongoing stories. But on seeing the submission banner on my story details, and I thought maybe I could give it a shot. Would love to hear what you think about this.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this chapter. As always, comments and votes are greatly encouraged and highly appreciated, especially since it was literal pain to wrestle my phone away from my nephew to get this out on time.

Now that I've gotten that out, let's begin

***

***

"You and Xelan certainly make a perfect couple, seeing as you both seem to enjoy being in Lyle's bad graces," the blond guest Ida had brought noted, as she picked up Xelan's sword from the floor. The feel was familiar, its cold and heavy weight reminding her of the first time she had met the owner.

"It's not my fault he came here looking for a fight," she grumbled, carrying the weapon to its place on the mantel, setting it on the hooks.

"How did that get on the floor?" Ida asked, giving Amara an inquisitive look. She looked away, clearing her throat.

"He did that when you left," she said, not delving any further. She wasn't keen on knowing what Ida would think of the real reason why it laid there. In an attempt to change the subject, she focused on her new guest. "Not that Im not grateful for your help but who are you?"

He bowed with a flourish, his warm smile a welcome change from Lyle's condescending smirk, disarming her. "Damien Belmont, a friend of the family. I was here the morning after your wedding but you were not in the mood for visitors."

"Oh," she said simply, rather sheepish. She did remember hearing another voice asides from Xelan's that morning. But like he had said, she didn't have in her then to care to know who owned it. "Still, thank you so much. I don't think I could have gotten him to leave if you weren't here."

He waved it off. "Always a pleasure. Though you should have never handled him alone. Not when Xelan's home."

She looked up at the stairs in the foyer, her minds eye going to the room where he was sleeping. That would have meant giving Lyle exactly what he wanted, something she had no desire of doing. "Xelan isn't well. I rather he got some rest. It's not like Lyle can hurt me for no reason since he is part of the Dalis, right?"