✒ One

Every beginning starts with an end

Every beginning starts with an end. I came to learn the true meaning of this statement the moment I laid my eyes on her. It had been a cold day in July, the day she re-entered my life; and that was just a beginning.

I had been a little upset. Atleast I appeared like I was, when in actuality I was just agitated. What would one do when a woman bawls her eyes off in public? I don't know about you, but I was completely clueless.

I had to admit that I was the one to make her cry, but that didn't make a good bargain for public humiliation. Maybe, I should have seen that coming before dropping such a missile on her.

Arohi. It wasn't to be denied that she was just as beautiful as her name. However, please pardon my bluntness, because at this moment, with her smudged eyeliner and makeup, she looked nothing more than the witch I dreamt as a kid. It is true what they say, 'The girls who smile are the prettiest.'

Actually, that reminds me of someone I know.

Hesitantly, I offered my handkerchief while expecting her to throw it on my face. It came as a surprise when she accepted without any reluctance. That gave me a sense of relief. Perhaps, the situation might not be as bad as I thought.

"Please, excuse me?" She said clutching my handkerchief close to her chest.

I nodded and she walked towards the bathroom.

There was no mistake. I had broken her heart and it was okay if she hated me.

For someone like me, relationships are just distractions that keeps me away from my goals. I hated being bound by things that were out of my control. I loved my freedom too much to hand it over to someone for no particular reason. You could call me a tad bit selfish, but I'm just an ambitious guy. I must've been kidding myself if I thought I could make a relationship work.

While she was gone, the waiter brought our food. But the food didn't seem tasty anymore and I'd lost my appetite.

I was thinking about a lot of things that included fleeing the restaurant and never looking back. I'd done my part and it didn't matter whether Arohi forgave me or not. We would eventually forget each other and move on with our lives.

Nonetheless, I decided to stay. Good thing I did. If I hadn't, I never would have met her.

She would've gotten away. Again.

Aarohi was taking too long. It began to suffocate inside and I craved for some fresh air. Unfortunately, it'd started to rain outside and the stroms were heavy. It was an unexpected change in the weather, but I wasn't complaining.

From my seat, it was a rare view. The streets were flooded and I could see people rushing about to take shelter. Many of them just strolled inside the restaurant with soaking wet clothes and dirty shoes. The manager didn't look pleased at all, but he wasn't complaining either. Instead, he welcomed them with a graceful smile.