04 : Admonitus

──────────────────────
A WARNING YOU
SHOULD HEED
[ F O U R ] 
──────────────────────

It's been a week since you saw that odd man named Toji and an equally odd child whose name you unfortunately didn't get.

Truthfully, you didn't want to meddle with whatever relationship the two have.

However, after you saw how that small child was covered in bandages, you became paranoid about her welfare and if she had ever been abused by someone or by Toji himself.

That's why, when you had a chance, you secretly asked your customers and the people that walked into your store about that child and Toji and if they had ever seen or knew the two.

So far, you still haven't gotten anything from anyone.

No information. No clues. No people.

It's like those two didn't exist and everything you've experienced was just a dream, except for the bundle of cash that was still in your care, which you're too afraid to even touch.

You immediately snapped out of your thoughts when you heard the bell that was hanging in the door of your shop ring, indicating that someone had come in.

Your customer, who is a charming tall man with dark brown eyes and short hair that had a reddish tinge, simply gave you a smile while taking off his long-sleeved beige-brown woven coat.

"Are you still serving ramen at this hour?" He then sheepishly chuckled. "I'm . . . I'm actually pretty hungry."

"Hm~?"

"And I'm kind of also looking for hot food that I could probably take home."

You stared at him for a second before a laugh escaped from your lips. "You're not from here, are you?"

"H-Huh?"

"Well, this is just a small village, so all people know here that I purposely open my store at night just to sell hot food, specifically hot ramen."

"O-Oh?"

Before the man could even feel more embarrassed, you politely offered him the seat in front of the kitchen counter so he could watch you cook his ramen while also having a little chat to create a lively environment.

"Dine in?" you asked with a cheerful smile.

"Takeout, unfortunately." He then handed you his payment. "And make it two, please."

You curiously take it before going inside your open kitchen. "Hm? Two?"

He gave you a small smile. "Well, my little one is surely still awake at this hour and waiting for me to come home."

"Son or daughter?" you asked while washing your hands to finally begin preparing his order.

"Oh, daughter, not biologically, but a bond is stronger than blood, right?"

"Certainly." You slowly stop what you are doing to briefly look at him. "And your daughter is quite lucky to have a dad like you."

"I think I'm more lucky to have her in my life." His smile became brighter. "She's the sole reason why I can pretend that everything I do is alright."

Instead of asking and digging deeper into what he meant with those words, you simply smile and continue with your business as you change the topic of your conversation into a lighter one until you finish cooking his ramen and meticulously packing it for him to go.

"Here you go~!" You then carefully hand the plastic to him.

"Ah, yes, thank you, Miss..."

"(y/n), (y/n) Fushiguro. And you?"

"Oh, ah..."

When you quickly noticed the hesitation in his expression, you immediately dismissed the idea of knowing his name and explained to him that you were simply expecting him to visit your shop again, so in that way he could be more comfortable when you two were talking just like your other customers before.

"It's fine, I'm sorry for sounding so pu—"

"Oda."

"Hm?"

"My name." He then lend his hand to you. "It's Oda Sakunosuke."

You meekly nodded as a reply before shaking his hand.

However, before you could let go, he suddenly griped tightly on your hand as his expression changed into a more serious one.

"You should stop meddling with someone's life, Ms. Fushiguro." He then leans his face near yours. "Not all people were as understanding as me and gave you a blatant warning like this."

"H-Huh?"

"Trust me, asking about Toji and the child he came with will only give you harm in the long run. You must avoid getting involved with him after this. The job he did, and his business he had with that child shouldn't be your problem anymore."

"S-So, you know them?" you asked after getting your composure back.

"More than you do." He then slowly let go your hand. "And if you're worrying about the child and if someone was abusing her, don't, she was just only covered in bandages because of her own doing, no one else."

"O-Oh, re-really?"

Oda simply nodded in agreement before he started walking towards the door, but not without looking back at you for the last time and giving you a warning by saying, "I hope this will be the last time we meet."

"Ca-Can I know why?"

"Well, let's just say that the second will not be as peaceful as this."

ᴠᴇʀɢᴇɴᴄᴀɴᴛ