Chapter 5: Part 5

"Is this quest really necessary? I don't understand how this will help me improve."

Penny's gaze would shift down towards the stack of boxes she had been carrying for minutes while Angel continued to carry a single one; even still, he would struggle due to the weight of the box. Of course, such a thing did leave the boy feeling a little embarrassed by their strength difference.

"This team works by helping out the little guys whenever we can. Sometimes it's better to just slow down and do some small stuff."

Despite Penny continuing on with the thousands of pounds, she would be unable to stop herself from sighing. Her patience would begin to wear thin, but eventually they would finally reach their destination, which allowed her to set down the five boxes she had been carrying.

"Thank you very much, dears...I haven't been able to use my legs for a while now, so I greatly appreciate your help."

"Don't worry about it, granny; I'm glad we could help."

"Please accept this as a rewar-"

"Na, don't even sweat it."

"But I-"

"We helped to help. You're living alone here, right? Save and use the money whenever you really need it."

The lady with gray hair would simply smile in response to the boy's words. She would soon signal for him to lean in, which the boy obliged, even if confused as to why. Although his cheeks would turn a faint shade of red and his body tensed the moment he felt the light kiss against his cheek, naturally causing the boy to pull away right after.

"Ah jeez lady...coulda gone without the kiss..."

"You remind me of my grandson...and you dear."

Penny would flinch before tensing up the moment she detected the gaze of the old woman resting on her. However, the lady's smile did cause the ice dragon to lower her guard, even if it was just by a miniscule amount. A little unnerved by a strange yet inviting feeling coursing throughout her body.

"You don't look like any ol adventurer young lady. Even if blinded, I can tell you're a step above the rest. Oho, you remind me of my golden years!"

"Ngh...I...um...thank you?"

The elder soon found herself releasing a quiet cackle before sending the duo off. With one final wave, the pair would soon begin to walk back to the adventurer lobby in preparation to receive another quest.

"I still fail to understand how this will help with improvements."

"Come on Pen-"

"Don't call me that."

"We've gone through a lot. I mean you less, but you just got your butt handed to you by a girl leagues above your level. Akina and Yami had to do their own thing, and the rest of us have been taking out high-level guys back-to-back. We can go for a small break."

"But...if we lost by such an absurd amount, wouldn't it be wise for us to train harder?"

"This is training. Yeah, it might not be as crazy and intense as the stuff you're used to, but even the smallest bit helps. The knights don't do much outside of defending the town, so we can improve ourselves little by little while helping out with smaller tasks every now and then."

Penny would maintain her focus on the male before her, but after a few seconds, a light sigh could once again be heard slipping through her lips. Soon enough, she would turn her head just to look straight ahead. Although she could feel her body tremble ever so slightly upon remembering his words, eventually muttering under her breath.