Chapter 36

When I landed in Feldcroft, it was early afternoon. I had made a brief stop to eat something not far away from here.

The small village was as quiet as ever when you visited, except for that one time when Sebastian made sure a goblin stabbed himself.

The sun shone over the village, bathing it in a warm light. The sky was cloudless, which was rare in Scotland.

Today was June third. It was Sebastian Sallows' 18th birthday.

I had wanted to write to him and of course I wanted to give him a gift, but now I was here. Without a gift. Without a good mood, I couldn't even speak to him. I just had to see if he was okay.

I used the disillusionment charm again and approached the small house where the Slytherin lived. I wanted to talk to him, hug him and hide with him, but that was impossible.

Just as I looked through the window, the door of the house opened and a shirtless Sebastian stepped out.

This has to be a joke.

I had seen him like this before, several times, but now the sun was shining on him and made him look irresistible. How could it be that I was devastated and still longed for him? He was safe and sound, I knew that if I touched him, he would be warm and familiar. His hair was tousled and he looked like he had just gotten up.

He went to the clothesline in front of the house and put on a shirt. That was my chance to hide against the wall. The charm was strong enough, but Sebastian had taught it to me, he was good at detecting others who used it, especially me.

He didn't go back into the house, instead he sat down on the small step in front of the door and just looked into the distance.

"I wish you were here, Anne," he whispered. Of course, it was not only his birthday, it was also Anne's.

I wondered where she might have been? None of us knew, she regularly wrote that she was fine and safe, but Sebastian was still sad that she wasn't there.

I sank down against the wall and watched him as he sat there alone on his birthday.

Could I risk it? One last conversation, so he wouldn't be alone? Just for a few minutes? I bit my lip, I could hardly stop myself from going to him. I would just leave him like so many before. I would abandon him and he would hate me for it.

It was selfish.

If I left, he would be safe, but I would be alone. If I didn't leave, he would be in danger, but we would be together.

I hated myself so much for what I was doing, but maybe it was the better decision in hindsight.

"Expecto Patronum," I whispered and held my wand where he was sitting. The fox appeared in front of him on the meadow and ran around. Sebastian stood up and drew his wand, but when he realized what was running around in front of him, he quickly let it sink and looked around almost frantically.

"Beth?" he called and I came out from behind the wall. The disillusionment charm had been lifted.

A smile appeared on his face. "Happy birthday, darling," I whispered.

He had a twinkle in his eyes, as if he were seeing me for the first time. "What are you doing here?" he exclaimed joyfully, wrapping his arms around me and lifting me up. I put my arms around his neck and let myself be drawn into his embrace for a moment.

I wanted to enjoy his warmth and calmness before I had to say goodbye to him. Maybe I could wait another day? I didn't have to bid farewell on his birthday. "I wanted to surprise you", I said against his neck, planting a kiss on it.