Chapter 48

This chapter contains mature content.

I ran as fast as I could because it was the only thing I could think of. A voice in my head, not my own, screamed, but I knew there was no other choice but to listen to it. I had to keep running. One step after another, faster and faster. Breathe. Run. Faster. Keep running.

I was neither in control of my senses nor my body. I couldn't give up now. This wasn't a dream. It was the bitter reality. I heard Imelda panting behind me.

I knew we couldn't be far. Apparating wasn't an option. I didn't have the strength.

My breath was labored, I could barely catch my breath, my endurance was nearing its end, but if I stopped, they would catch me. The forest was illuminated by the full moon, and in the distance, the howl of a wolf could be heard. At least I hoped it was just a regular wolf.

I searched for my wand. I had it in my boot. My green linen blouse was stained. Blood. There was blood on my arms too. It was mine.

I had experienced this before.

I looked behind me, they were there. Figures cloaked in black robes, so fast that we could only gain distance with great effort.

I looked ahead. It was just like in my dream, only this time I wasn't alone, and now I knew how strong I really was. I simply kept running, running for my life, but there was no way forward. In a few meters, I had to decide whether to stop and try or jump off a cliff with uncertain survival.

This time, I wouldn't jump.

I abruptly stopped and let Imelda and Poppy run past me.

Just a few more meters.

I pointed my wand at the figures in the black robes.

Laughter filled my memories. An intimate embrace after a victorious race. The wind in our hair during a flight on Highwing. A kiss. A whispered "I love you" among the bookshelves.

"Expecto Patronum!"

A blue-white light shot out of my wand, and a fox ran towards the Dementors. Behind the fox, a peregrine falcon and a hippogriff followed.

From another direction, a blue-white hawk soared towards the Dementors, and a bright Thestral ran after them. A giraffe emerged from the trees.

The darkness brightened. Our Patronuses illuminated the night. They were glowing in the dark. From a spark, a fireworks display emerged. The Dementors were driven away by the pure light.

Ominis, Sebastian, and Natty emerged from behind the trees. They looked terrible.

Ominis had a cut across his shoulder, bleeding through his shirt. Natty looked as if she had been hit in the face with a Bludger, and Sebastian was so pale that it seemed like he had lost liters of blood.

"We should find a safe place and set up camp," Poppy remarked, glancing at Ominis, whose wound needed urgent attention. We regrouped and moved cautiously through the forest. We listened for every crack and every rustle.

The further we went, the more the surroundings changed. It became louder. We were near a waterfall. I heard the rushing of water, and gradually, the sound of dripping on damp stone.

When we reached the water, a clear lake stretched out before us, with a waterfall cascading into it. Behind it, there was a small ledge, embedded in stone, slightly touched by the water. It was a bit like a cave, but open. We decided to set up camp there.

It was a bit slippery, but not particularly high. We had to wade through the lake, but it was worth it. We set up our tent, which could set itself up, and I muttered a few protective spells around the lake. Natty helped me. Meanwhile, Sebastian took care of Ominis' wound, and Poppy and Imelda finished preparing the interior of the tent so we could sleep and eat without being cramped.