Awakening #6

Ran's view

It has been two days since Conan disappeared from the face of earth. When I called the professor to make sure he was definitely not with him either, he told me after a brief silence that he had already gone home."It was very urgent. Please don't hold it against him, he had no other choice," were his words.

I really had to swallow my rising anger in order to not take it out on the bystander professor. But even more, I had to keep my sadness and disappointment bottled up. I have grown very fond of Conan during the time he lived with us. He feels like a little brother to me by now.

It's just a pity that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him. With him it was never boring.

I had to make an effort to hold back my tears and quickly slapped my palms against both my cheeks.

Now was not a good time to mourn. Kid had another coup planned for today. One of the only reasons why Pops wanted to go to the museum, and was so excited at the present time, was because of the free food that would be waiting for us there.

I stepped out the door. My dad's excited voice was unmistakable. "Dear! don't dawdle! We have to go!"
"I'm coming!"
With a final sigh that took all my sadness and disappointment along with it, I got into the car.

-

"Ouch!"
Inspector Nakamori pinched our cheeks once again.
"Keep an eye out for him. I still don't forgive that guy for what he did last time," the policeman said, gritting his teeth.

I wasn't the person who was affected, but Kid was getting on my nerves tremendously, too. He was a desperate attention-seeker. Didn't he have anything better to do? He could show his skills in magic shows. But no! Of course he had to steal and to make the story complete, he gave his stolen goods back. This strange behavior was almost as inexplicable to me as Shinichi's whereabouts.

"One more minute!" sounded from a policeman's megaphone.

My gaze roamed through the crowd of people. Everything seemed normal. People were looking around spellbound, muttering excitedly and more than ready to catch the thief. In the back of their minds was always the thought of the reward they would get once they had him.

And yet, this peace seemed deceptive in my opinion. The thing that made me think so were two policemen not far from me. One could have sworn they were twins, they looked so much alike.Suddenly, one of the policemen turned his head in my direction. For a moment he seemed surprised, but this expression disappeared as quickly as a down of a chick thrown into the fire. It looked as if he had eaten a stew of emotions. Sadness, fear, guilt and joy appeared alternately on his face.

"What the... HEY!" I tried to push my way through the crowd. There was clearly something fishy with these officers. "Let me through, please," came strained from my throat, but no one bothered to step aside. 

Then an announcement came from a police officer and I gave up hoping to meet the two of them:

"Five seconds left,
Four,
Three,
two,
One,"

The lights went out. Despite the darkness, I could make out something. Without pondering for long, I looked at them. They were no longer in their places.

"Oh come on Inspector. You get lousier and lousier with each passing day we meet!"
The light came back on. There he stood in front of us. His poker face as unpredictable as ever. If it weren't for Kaito Kid standing in front of me, I'd even say he was pretty handsome.

Something silvery and glittering caught my attention. It was a key that adorned Kid's neck. The one from Nakamori, which had been in his possession until a few moments ago. The glass case under it was covered by a white sheet.