CHAPTER 41

CALIX

Silence fell inside my car. Cass was painfully silent since we decided to leave town and be on our way.

I knew that my unexpected meeting with Gisele would lead to trouble but I didn't expect that Cass would be so mad at me.

Was she even mad at me in the first place?

I eyed her briefly before focusing my attention back on the road. So far, she had been stoic and sat stiffly in the shotgun seat. She was giving me the vibe of an icy companionship.

"Is everything okay, moro mou?" I asked conversationally.

"Of course," she replied impassively.

I hid my smile. A smart person would immediately realize that he had been entering dangerous territory with her answer and since I am a smart guy I am aware of it.

"You seem to be in a bad mood. Did you not have a pleasant lunch with your friend, Dan Takaaki?" I asked innocently while I have a guess what might be the reason for her bad mood.

Her dark eyes narrowed in my direction. If looks could only slit I've turned into pieces by now. "My lunch with him is fine. Thank you very much for asking."

I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from laughing out loud. Was it presumptuous of me to assume that the reason for her bad mood had something to do with my meeting with Gisele?

I've never seen her snap at me like this before. And if I have to be honest I was rather enjoying this more than I should have.  "Are you mad at me or something?"

"No."

I prevent myself from laughing out loud. Her one-word response to me was hilarious. She could deny it all her want but I knew for a fact that she was mad--even jealous, maybe.

Oh, wait... Is she?

"Cass," I said sanguinely, feeling suddenly blissfully happy. "Be honest with me. Are you mad because you saw me and Gisele--"

"Of course not!" Her sharp response drew my attention back to her. I stared at her with an arched brow.

"Are you sure?" I queried sardonically. "Because I can feel that you are furious at me  for some reason."

She snorted, crossing her arms in the middle of her chest. "Oh, please..."

"Cass."

"Eyes on the road, please. That last thing I want is to have a road accident with a distracted driver." She commented icily.

Normally, I should be offended by the way she was questioning my driving skills. I prided myself that I hadn't into an accident since I got my license. But then, I also knew that she was just picking a fight so I decided to tease her more.

I whistled softly. "You know, Cass. There's no reason to be mad. My meeting with Gisele is completely unexpected. We just ran into each other."

She snorted, looking at her car window. "I am not remotely interested to know the details. Please spare me."

This time, I couldn't help it any longer. I laughed out loud at her unreasonable anger at me. "If I didn't know better I would assume that you are jealous, Cass."

She stared at me with wrath scorching in the depth of her eyes. "Excuse me?! Are you mad? Why would I be jealous in the first place?"

I parked the car on the side of the road. I felt elated seeing her reaction. She could deny all her wants but I knew for a fact that she was jealous and the thought made my heart triumphant.