Episode 2 - Erasure

"Destroy something of value...?" Diane repeated once she saw the window, "...This is the game he talked about?"

"Failure means facing erasure?" Aqua repeated, "Erasure..? Erasure...Death?"

CRASH!!

My head snapped to the source of the noise. A group of people destroyed their phones. I guess it makes sense smartphones are of value...unfortunately that isn't the value Jeffery was talking about.

DING!!

"It's worked!!" The girl yelled, "Thank goodness!! Looks like this game might not be so-"

"It didn't." Her friend said, "...It didn't work for me."

More people agreed with her. That girl seemed to be the only one who received a complete notification. Which meant that only her phone had value.

I sighed. Even if I tell them what he meant, I'd look suspicious at best. But....there are two here I absolutely have to get through this game.

I tapped Aqua's shoulder. "Your necklace." I said.

"My necklace?" He grabbed it and put it infront of us. It was a pendant, no doubt a photo inside. A photo of people who mean the world to him.

"Diane, you have your manuscript on your phone right?" I asked.

"Eh?...Yeah I do." Diane answered her expression seemed a bit scattered.

"Alright..." I gripped the novel in my hands. "Living in Pieces." By Zenith. A story that's very title is a play on words. "Peace" and "Piece". A story that was about a young woman finding herself in this world. A story that changed my life.

I sighed. I'll probably never get to read it again. It's details are a bit murky now too. Well, it has been 7 years since I last read it...I wonder if I'll ever be able to meet Zenith..?

I closed my eyes. And tightly gripped the novel in my hands.

RRRRRIIIIIPPPPP!!!!!

With my bare hands, I ripped the novel to pieces. Ironic isn't it? Diane and Aqua both looked at me with pure shock. I don't blame them. After all to them I looked like I destroyed a novel I just bought.

DING!

The notification window appeared in front of me.

[CONGRATULATIONS!!]
You have completed the Initiation Game!!
Rewards will be distributed!!
WELCOME!! USER: ELYSIA VAN ROUGE

Another Window popped in as soon as the first one appeared.

[CLAIM YOUR REWARDS!!]
Right to become a user
Right to participate in the main game.
Access to the World System
[ACCEPT]

My finger gently pressed the accept. And the rewards immediately roped in.

"Hey." Diane tapped my shoulder, "Did it tell you cleared?"

I nodded, "Looks like my guess was right. What you destroy has to be something you value. The more irreplaceable it is to you the more likely it'll clear the game."

"I didn't know that this novel meant so much..." Aqua said, "But...I can't destroy the photo in my pendant."

"Aqua." I looked at him directly, "You look like a smart kid, so you must've figured out what Facing Erasure means."

Aqua remained quiet. If this Aqua is the same Aquamarine that I wrote, then he must've figured it out. He may have been a side character, but he was an important to a certain character who joins my protagonist early on.