- Chapter 7-

He said it ironically: the superstar. It seemed he never thought of himself as a superstar, though, the advantages of being a celebrity were too numerous to mention; lots of money, lots of girls dying for his autograph, and having everything easily.

    As I was sinking deep into my thoughts, his eyes threw arrows at me with mysterious peeks, but I was capable of dodging them until he surprised me by questioning with cryptic purpose, “Why did you take the stairs?”

       I slid him a sideways glance, and I noticed a drop of water steeping down his calm face, and through his long neck, slipping into his clothes. For a moment I thought that I was delirious. He did not even bother to hide his tears. He just permitted them to shed freely before my eyes, as though I was unseen, or I was not there.

      I answered genuinely moving my eyes away slowly, “I was feeling shy. “

     I liked the idea of being unseen. It was more comfortable for me to be a ghost.

           “ But you are talking to me spontaneously now!”

     Spontaneously! For real?!! Did he think that I was talking to him spontaneously?  Although I was not, I was just thinking that I was unseen by him, and that helped me to stand there for a long time in front of him.

          “You being there made me feel shy, because I could not imagine that Rena’s brother would be you,” I replied calmly.

       “ Does that make any difference? “
      “Yes, it does…and I am still shy ...”

     He smiled saying ironically, “ Such a strange girl! What’s wrong with your voice? Are you sick?

    “ A Sore throat.”
   “Oh!!  Get well soon.”
   “I will.”
  “Why do you always cover your head with a scarf? “
  “Because I am a Muslim girl.”
  “I know you are a Muslim… I meant, are you forced to do so?”
   “No… no one forces me. I do it to get closer to God. God loves decent women and I want him to love me. “

      The glitter in his eyes conveyed the unspoken words that were spinning inside his mind. Although the satirical grin on his face, my inherent beliefs were so stiff to be affected by it.  However, when he allowed his thoughts to be heard, I was shocked.

   “Oh!! I thought it was a punishment,” he said.

    “A Punishment??!!” I echoed amazed.

      He shrugged his shoulders expressing puzzlement, “Because of the biggest sin. “ he elaborated.

    “What biggest sin? “

     “The sin of women... You know, seducing men and leaving Eden."

        So he did believe that women should get punishment due to men losing their Eden forever!! I thought to myself.   

      How fearful the difference between human religions, and cultural and ideological backgrounds are!!  In the animal kingdom, no ape thinks differently from the rest of the group, no wolf believes that the Messiah is a God, while some believe that he is God’s messenger, whereas some do not even believe that he existed.  People’s minds are so different; they are similar to deep caves. I have always believed that animals are lucky enough to be freed from the burden of thinking. Thinking is a disaster because it is different, several, and deviant. It separates human beings instead of gathering them. We will never find two people thinking the same way even in the same religion; the Muslims for instance, though they believe in the same God, same prophet, and same book, they believe that all the messengers of God are equal; still, they differ in many things.