21

The calm before the storm

The calm before the storm. That's what these moments feel like. An odd sense of overwhelming tranquility that likely entails destruction.

Everything was too pleasant, too happy, too nice.

I sat the kids down on the bleachers as the show was preparing to begin, the sky is dark and the stars are shining and there's no moon to illuminate the darkness. There was an eerie feeling creeping into my heart that made me a little nauseous.

Falco had taken Reiner somewhere while I was in the bathroom, and now I have to find him because Zeke will probably be mad if I don't. He's supposed to be my partner.

I walk away from the bleachers that held up Marleyan troops, and wandered to a slightly illuminated back alley. The light came from a door, and the door revealed stairs.

The faint hum of conversation leads me down the stairs and through a dim corridor. There's a door at the end, open a crack.

Eren sits on a wooden chair, Reiner on a chair across from him, Falco stands between the two. The corridor is too dark for them to notice me, so I bask in it instead of stepping forward.

"Why are you here?" Reiner, whose back is to me, asks Eren.

"Same as you."

Reiner's hands go to his head, in stress, and he takes shallow and rigid breaths.

"Don't you get it?" Eren continues monotonously. "I'm the same as you. I don't have a choice."

My heart drops as applauds sound from outside.

"Looks like the show's started. Let's hear what he has to say."

Tybur explained the story of Paradis and King Fritz.

"Hear that, Reiner?" Eren's voice brings my attention back to him. "That's why you destroyed the walls, right? To save the world. Isn't that right?"

Falco looks like he's about to cry. And I decide to step in, swinging the door open. Eren looks up at me, his eye goes a little wide in surprise.

"What's going on?" I ask Eren, who is in the disguise of Kruger.

"You're supposed to be with Zeke," he responds flatly.

Falco inches over to me and I reach out, grabbing his hand in mine. "What's going on?" I ask again, sternly.

His eyes are void of emotion now as Tybur's speech continues.

Eren begins to regenerate his leg, Falco's grip tightens. Reiner looks back at me, hurt evident in his saddened eyes. And he frowns at me in disappointment.

"You tricked me..." Falco murmurs from beside me. "Even though I trusted you and respected you."

"Sorry, Falco," Eren keeps his eyes on me as he talks to Falco. "You've been a big help." He pauses. "Y/N," Eren doesn't bat an eye at Falco's terror. "Sasha will assist you."