29

The air around me seems to get colder and I let out a shiver

The air around me seems to get colder and I let out a shiver. In front of me is a bright blue light. The sand beneath my feet crunches as I try to take a step forward and look around.

My hands are shackled to the ground.

Ymir is nowhere in sight.

I call her name, but she doesn't appear. My feet meet the chains that restrict me as I try to break them, but they don't break. They clink and jingle, creating a haunting melody that no one will ever hear.

"Y/N."

I turn around to the source of the voice and I let out a sigh of relief. "Eren," I say, letting out a sigh.

He takes a step towards me and looks down at the chains that bind me. "You must remain here until my plan is finished."

"What?" I look at him, puzzled. Is there where souls come when they have died?

He frowns. "I..." He looks down. "I can shift my energy, my soul, into my head. My plan will continue on in a few minutes."

"So you're basically invincible?" I let out a dry laugh, knowing that would be impossible.

But he nods. "Yes. But that's not the point of this conversation. I wanted to talk to you."

I knew time passed by differently here. What felt like hours or minutes in the Path was actually just a few seconds in the real world.

"You didn't have to chain me for that," I let out a nervous half-hearted laugh.

His eyes shift to the shackles and then at me again. "Tthey won't let you get back to your body. Not until they come off."

"So you're keeping me captive here?" I asked him a question that I already knew the answer to, and I felt stupid for having hope.

"Yes."

"Why?"

He bites down on his bottom lip, a look of conflict in his eyes. He takes a slow step towards me. "Because... I told you. I don't know if you die, if you live. I don't know what you'll do. So stay here."

"I can't stay here," I shake my head apologetically. "I care about you but I care about my friends too. I can't let them die. There's people I need to save, Eren."

"People will die whether you interfere or not."

"You don't know that," I try my best to remain calm, but my heart felt like it was going to explode. "You don't know what my role is, in all of this, you said that yourself. It could be anything."

He blinks a couple times, and then turns his back to me. The shackles break off of my now-sore wrists and I step towards him. "If you leave," he breathes. "I won't talk to you, look at you, or even think of you ever again. You will be nothing to me. Nothing at all."

"That's selfish and hypocritical. Especially considering how you're literally becoming a murderer. You're what I hate. And yet, here I am, trying to save you over and over." My throat feels raw, burning.