Chapter Three: A Mission

As the sun rose from the horizon, the village has started to come to life. Birds started singing their morning songs as the sun had started to rise to from the mountains and the faint silver of the moon could hardly be seen in the morning sky. As the sun had started to rise from the golden and blue sky, a pair of hooves splashed through a puddle and the rough sound of rapid breathing was heard. Galloping into the depths of the forest was Shira on her horse named Tempest racing through the forest. A little cluster of light rain clouds had passed through before daybreak, dampening the ground and filling the air with the scent of fresh rain. The distant mountains were delicately sprinkled with the appearing mist from the rain, like thick white frosting on cake slices.
They were running together, as though they're one in the same. Shira felt the wind whooshed through her. She was intensely aware of Tempest's movements underneath her. She felt herself smiling and Destiny let out a loud whinny. Shira raised herself up slightly as the grassy ground disappeared underneath them for a bit. Tempest had leapt over a log. She felt her hair flowed behind her and her stomach lurched. She almost felt as if she and the mare were both flying. She tightened her grip on the reins and Tempest slowed down for a moment, long enough for her to regain her balance again and calm down her excitement. Shira took a deep breath, calming herself down and nodded to Tempest, who nickered softly and continued the ride.
Shira was hidden within the forests with a small number of guards protecting her. King Hallow has been assassinated by some Moonshadow elves last night and the two princes have gone missing. They were riding back together in the village, she started riding back into the village with the soldiers.
There were a lot of cottages, with thatched roofs and smoke drifting from the stone chimneys. There was a firm stone-made bank, a beautiful marbled church, a few smithies, and a couple storehouses in the mix.
She saw a few people were dressed in everything from expensive suits to richest dresses in black. Their styles ranged from the suits of men to the dresses of women of the kingdom. A few drivers with carts jostled each other to get closest to the passengers with the most luggage. A few porters with stooped backs took remarkable quick steps under the heavy burdens of trunks and bags.
Farther inland, Shira could see stands of stands displaying fruits, meats, fish, clothes, paints, and so on. Shira fed off the noise and became worried at the somber energy of the town as Shira made her way through the winding streets. But she knew that everyone was grieving over King Hallow's death and the grief was something that Shira was quite familiar with.
But when Shira arrived, she could hear whispers in not so soft voices of how they should feel about a new king coming to power barely a day after King Harrow and the princes had passed.
Viren had stepped out onto the balcony and all of the whispers ceased. He launched into an extremely long speech about how devastating it was for the princes to be killed and they were left behind without a ruler.
Shira was angry at the High Mage; not just because he's making an eager grab of power for the royal throne and is going to become king of Katolis, he's wrong that the princes were killed by the Moonshadow elf assassins. She doesn't know how, but her instincts is telling her that Viren's dark magic was slowly corrupting him.
Everyone fell silent, which made Shira looked up at Viren with a frown.
"It would disgrace Harrow's memory to allow the kingdom he loved to be lost in darkness," Viren continued. "Though it is a heavy burden, I will humbly take up the battle in Harrow's name. I will become Lord Protector of the realm."
The crowd gasped and Viren knelt, while Shira scowled at his words. Some protector he would be since he couldn't protect the king and the princes, figured Shira bitterly.
From where she was, Shira could see that Opeli was hesitant on putting the crown on Viren's head. Just as when Opeli was about to place the crown on his head, a loud bugle was blown.
Shira spun around to see a legion of three dozen horses came to a halt directly in the center of the courtyard and people have started moving out of the way. One rider, heavily armored and radiating confidence, stared up at Viren defiantly. That one was clearly the leader. An ornate helmet covered the warrior's head. But she took it off her head.
General Amaya's cropped, jet-black hair was brushed to the side to reveal a long scar over her cheek. General Amaya was the princes' mother's sister. She is a great general and a fearless leader, known across the land for her brilliant battlefield strategy and improvisation.
But General Amaya didn't say anything to anyone — she had been born deaf and signed to communicate.
But not just that, General Amaya was Shira's mentor whenever she stops by for a visit at the castle. Shira has became an increasingly strong and skilled warrior. The combat training had gotten more serious each year. All in secret, she became the daughter her general never had. She could fight with swords, knives, and spears. She could use longbows without too much trouble. She gained sharp reflexes and swift agility during her training. A scant six weeks past her fifteenth birthday, she could outmaneuver all, but Amaya. She's slender and slim, but strong. After she reaches her adult size, she would be very formidable.
Commander Gren, General Amaya's assistant and interpreter, rode up next her. Gren was young, freckled, and a little awkward, but he's really friendly and his sign language skills were impeccable.
"Stop the coronation!" Commander Gren shouted for General Amaya, who was signing rapidly. "The princes are alive!"
"Wow Shira." Marcos rode up next to her with an amused smile. "You were right. Somebody did interrupt the ceremony."
Shira smiled at this great news as warm hope has started to form within her chest. She looked up and almost bursted out laughing when Opeli refuses to crown a humiliated Viren. The boys are alive! But what happened? So many questions started running through her mind and needed to be answered, but she'll hold it back till then.
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
It wasn't long till they see Lord Viren was there as the four of them had entered the throne room together. Shira tried to hide her grimace at the sight of the dark mage. Apparently, the death of his closest friend and years of dark magic had taken a toll on him. The darkened circles around his eyes seemed to be permanent, and his face was marked with lines of stress and aging: deathly pale skin, unnatural dark spots and streaks.
She always feels uneasy whenever she's around him. But she calmed down whenever she's around one of the people she trusts the most.
"We must establish order, that's what the people need — a plan," Amaya signed with Gren translating to them. "And the top part of that plan is finding the princes."
"Your strength makes me calm," Opeli said to Amaya. "And your presence will reassure the people in the wake of this tragedy and crisis."
Shira smiled. Opeli has always been the most truthful and boldest out of everyone in the king's council. But she noticed that Viren was scowling and said, "I quite disagree. Amaya is creating confusion, allowing uncertainty to rule the day. Missing princes? An empty throne? Katolis will be paralyzed. I was prepared to return a sense of certainty to the people."
"You're going to solve this, Viren?" Amaya signed. "You are the one who let things come to this. The king's death happened on your watch."
"You speak as if I invited these assassins," Viren said.
"I left our stronghold at the Breach — have you any idea the dangerous forces gathered at our border?" signed Amaya.
"I'm well aware," Viren said.
"We rushed back here," signed Amaya. "But you had already failed."
Shira bit her tongue from laughing out, but she could Opeli was amused by Amaya's logic against Viren's false claims.
"I did everything in my power to protect King Harrow — I was wiling to give my own life!" he said, crocodile tears ran down his face.
"Then what went wrong?" signed Amaya. "Why are you the one still here?"
"Harrow went wrong," Viren said. "His own stubborn ways stopped me from helping him. You know him as well as I do; his pride was more important to him than his life."
"More like the love for his sons was more important to him than his own life," cut in Shira firmly.
Amaya smiled at Shira proudly and became serious as she considered this. She looked from the empty throne to Viren in his coronation robes.
"You wanted this outcome," Amaya signed.
Viren's eyes went wide and said, "How dare you suggest—"
"His death creates opportunity for you," signed Amaya.
"His death breaks my heart," Viren defended himself.
Amaya glared back at him and signed, "Then honor him. Find his children. That must be our top priority right now."
Viren looks even more angry than before and said stiffly, "They're gone, Amaya. Captured by a Moonshadow elf — if they're not already dead, they will be soon. This is a time of crisis... An empty throne is a beacon of weakness. An invitation to destroy us. We must defend humanity against what's coming. I can help us from there." Viren pointed to the throne.
What's there will be your own downfall, Viren, thought Shira grimly as she stared at him. There's no way I'm bowing to a false king like you.
Amaya moved to block the throne and shook her head. Shira smiled as her mentor stood her ground against Viren.
"I know what you think, Amaya," Viren said, his voice rising. "You think I'm being an opportunist. But I couldn't be more selfless in my motivation. I am a servant of Katolis. I am a servant!"
"Those are awfully nice clothes for a humble servant, Viren," signed Amaya.
Viren stepped back from Amaya and replied, "You don't believe me? Then you take the throne. Go ahead, sit down. I'll support you as Queen Regent." He waved his hand at the empty throne.
But Amaya didn't back down and signed, "The throne stays empty until we find the boys."
Viren threw up his hands and stormed out of the throne room.
An uneasy silence had filled the throne room had followed till Amaya signed to her, "Follow me."
Shira followed the general and the commander to the courtyard. But surprisingly, there's not many guards on lookout duty.
"What is it that you want me to do?" Shira asked General Amaya.
"Is your loyalty with the princes and myself?" signed General Amaya and Gren translated her words for them.
"I shall not serve a false king," Shira said fiercely.
"I'm glad to hear that," signed General Amaya. "I need you three to keep an eye on Katolis during my absence. But if anything happens, you must inform me or any of my soldiers at the Breach. Understood?"
"Yes General," said Shira.
"Shira, I know that you're close friends with the King's sons and the High Mage's children." General Amaya's eyes met Shira's eyes firmly as she signed to her. "But I'm afraid you must choose side between them." Shira sighed sadly, clearly upset of this news and knew she has to choose. "Which side do you choose?"
"My loyalty has never been with the dark mage," Shira replied to General Amaya. She gently took the general's left hand and placed her hand over her heart. Shira looked at General Amaya firmly in the eyes. "My loyalty is with you and the princes."
"Till we find the princes, keep me alerted about Viren's intentions," signed General Amaya with a smile.
"We will General Amaya." Shira nodded understandingly.
"We'll be careful," added Gren.
"Before I leave, Shira. Go to the dungeons and free the prisoner there," Amaya signed to her.
"What?" Shira looked at Amaya fearfully. "But he killed the king. What makes you think he'll listen to me? I'm a human."
"You must ask him about the princes and the assassination," signed Amaya. "If Viren had the elf captured within there, you must go down there and free him."
Shira sighed in defeat and said, "Fine." She started walking away from the others, but Shira looked at Amaya uncertainly. "But, I can't guaranteed that he'll speak to me."
"Just try Shira," Amaya signed with an encouraging smile. "I have faith in you."
General Amaya mounted her brave white horse and signed, "Goodbye Shira and Gren. We will see each other again soon, I'm sure."
"Bye General Amaya," said Shira with a smile.
"Be careful Amaya," said Gren.
General Amaya smiled at them before she rode towards the bridge and away from the castle. Shira looked up to see Opeli on the balcony, watching her leave with a small smile. Shira could see new hope shining through her silvery-gray eyes as they watched General Amaya rode away into the amber sunset.
Shira smiled sadly, but she felt a new wave of hope washing over her. The princes are still alive, and that means their hope still lives on for their future King and the future High Mage. They shall help General Amaya in anyway they can. But for now, the hope that they for the two lost princes will have to be hidden for everyone's sake.