Deep Blue

Celia's POV - June 1st, 5pm

I started slowly down the hallway. It was dark and a little dingy, I'm clearly in the underground part of the passage. I fumble with my ID lanyard while trying not to bite my lips and ruin my lip gloss. I don't usually wear lip gloss but this was my first day on the job and I needed to make a good impression. 

Taking this job was a lifesaver, as a newly-graduated photography major I was running out of options for jobs and needed to start paying my bills ASAP. My parents were also getting restless waiting for me to work literally anywhere. They never liked the idea of my career being "taking pictures." It wasn't a hearty enough profession for them. I, on the other hand, have known what I wanted to do for my entire life. Not just take Christmas card family portraits in a strip mall, but actually photograph and produce pictures to be published and used for sports, celebrities, etc. This was my chance to finally be a real adult.

I hear a notification pop up on my phone and stop to look. Ahh, my new boss, Chuck Fletcher, the interim manager for whoever took a leave of absence. To be honest I really didn't listen to much of the story past "We need a sports photographer for the WWE" and "When can you start?" My heart flutters as I remember that moment. Thank god it was over the phone because my reaction would've gotten me fired in 0.2 seconds. I was cheering so loud and jumping up on my coach to "shake it like I just don't care," and let me tell you, I did NOT care that night. There was also the puking two hours later due to the reckless amount of nerves that come with beginning a professional job in the freakin' WWE. To be honest, I've never watched the WWE, my parents always told me it was "fake bullshit that nobody should ever waste their time watching," but hey, it's a job. A job that pays well and embraces my career choice. Hopefully, that will make them change their mind a little bit. 

I continue to walk down the hall looking for Fletcher's office/private room, honestly, I don't really know what it is. In addition, I couldn't tell you a single fact about any WWE wrestler, but I'm glad that wasn't in the required section of my resumé. What am I doing here? I scan the passing doors and they have the most ridiculous names. Roman Reigns, Bianca Belair, Gallus? What the heck kind of names are those?  I finally am nearing the end of the hall when I stop short. The muffled sound of an argument through a door labeled "Liv Morgan" attracts me like a moth to a lamp. 

I can't make out much but I hear,

"No, we can't keep doing this Liv."

"But wait, come on, stay for a minute so we can talk about this."

"No, I said no." 

Before I know it the door handle starts turning and opens before I can move. I stand there, like a deer in the headlights while two women stare at me. One of them is short and blond staring at me and then at the other woman. The other woman I honestly want to look away from but somehow I can't break our eye contact. Her clothes are all black and she is wearing full makeup with dramatic eyeliner and black lips. So intense on the outside but her eyes say something else entirely. Pools that I could quite honestly swim in for hours. Before embarrassing myself too much more I try to come up with an excuse for my eavesdropping.

"Hi, um, I'm Celia. Celia Grover. I'm looking for Chuck Fletcher's office. Can you tell me where that is?" I only glance at the blonde long enough to see her cross her arms and raise an eyebrow. My gaze fully comes back to the slightly-emo woman in front of me.

"Yeah, I can show you." Her voice was low like she was tired but strong like she was about to start a war. The blonde scoffs. She turns around to look at her, "Liv, we will talk about this later." swiveling back around in one motion she shuts the door and motions for me to follow her. 

It was quiet for a moment with only our footsteps echoing in the corridor. I was honestly shocked that she was Australian. I couldn't catch her accent through the door. I wanted to hear it again so I spoke.

"Um thank you for showing me. Sorry that I uh heard some of that." She continues to look forward but her jaw tenses which sends a chill down my spine.

"It's okay, it never should've happened. At least not in there." She sighs and I take my gaze off of her and stare at my shoes. Old, beat-up, should probably invest in a new pair, I thought. She breaks the silence, "I'm Rhea by the way. Rhea Ripley." She glances to the side to see my reaction. I chuckle and then try and hide it with a cough.

"Is that your stage name?" I responded, making eye contact for the first time since Liv's room.

"Yeah."

"What's your real name?" I asked. I don't know if that's considered rude in the WWE but I figured I'm an outsider and she'll indulge me. But, she pauses, making me think she won't.

Then finally, "Demi. My name is Demi."

I smile brightly trying to show her I'm a friend, not a foe. She flashes a lopsided smile while looking into my eyes. Hers are a deep blue. Pools, just like I said. The moment seemed to last forever but all at once it stopped. Her eyes became dark and stormy and her smile faded. The woman who was once present was now lost in her thoughts. I decide that now is the time to make a swift goodbye.

"Well, thank you, Demi, I really appreciate you navigating me to the right place." And without another word, I turn the latch to Mr. Fletcher's door and walk in.