010 - IRISES OF BLUE

YOUR SWEET, SWEET sister is an enigma of her own. She was born with all the charisma, you've always thought. Always knowing when to smile, when to laugh, what to say. Where you were feared and respected, she was always loved and adored.

You suppose that applies to your marriage too, except you were never respected, and she stayed as loved and adored as ever.  You don't know whether it is out of love or out of spite that you are currently getting ready to come to her (knowing your sister,) grandiose birthday celebration where all her flashy company will undoubtedly be present. The venue? The manor you tripped over yourself to get away from. Whether or not the poor choice of setting is mockery, a warning from your deranged husband or something deeper, you don't know. You get ready anyway, and each stroke of the brush on your hair does not go unnoticed by the cold blue eyes that match the sapphire of your engagement ring.

Childe has made himself comfortable in the corner of your eye, leaning against the wall with his hands stuffed in the warmth of his pockets. His mouth holds a smile, but his eyes are calculating, restless, almost angry. As if a storm was beginning to conjure itself in the ocean that was the blue of his irises and it was any moment now that the ships in it would go down with the waves. You don't know what to make of it. You're not sure of anything lately.

"I got off work early today." He comments lightly, "I can accompany you to that party."

He would do that? You think, maybe it had been to obvious that you were nervous, scared even. Scared go to back to that house and relive the night your life came crashing down with the same people in the same places even if your circumstances had changed completely over the time frame of a little less than a week.

"What better opportunity to let the bastard know we're official?" He adds.

You stay silent. Focus, you remind yourself. Just because he went out of his way for the sake your feelings when you were children does not mean he will do the same now. You're two different people who lead different lives.. so why is it that the engagement ring that he bought is around your ring finger and not the one of the long line of eligible men that would be glad to marry you? Some kinder, even. More trustable.

Perhaps you made an impulsive lapse in your judgement, but who else can help you better than the man who has lived and breathed alongside you since you were small? Who could do better than the man who knows everything about your marriage from the color of the flowers in your wedding bouquet to the kind of neckline you had on your dress? Who could anger Scaramouche more than him?

Perhaps Childe is an enigma of his own as well. With that in consideration, you only give it a moment before you give him your answer. "Come along."

"I'll get the chauffeur when you're finished"