46

| | |
P R I Z E
| | |

"THE DEAL IS THE DEAL, Van Eck," Kaz said over the sounds of the growing storm. "If the Merchant Council fails to honor its end of this bargain, no one from the Barrel will ever traffic with any of you again. Your word will be meaningless."

"That would be a problem, Mister Brekker, if the Council knew anything about this deal."

I wish only the worst on these vile ass men, Feta thought. Better yet, Inej and I should expand our horizons if we make it out of here alive. Hunt slavers and the rich.

"They were never involved," Kaz said. "You wanted Yul-Bayur. You wanted the formula for parem."

Van Eck conceded the truth with an easy nod. "Neutrality is a luxury Kerch has too long enjoyed. The members of the Council think that their wealth protects them, that they can sit back and count their money while the world squabbles."

"And you know better?"

"Indeed, I do. Jurda parem is not a secret that can be kept or quashed or stashed in a cabin on the Zemeni frontier."

"So all your talk of trade lines and markets collapsing—"

"Oh, it will all happen just as I predicted, Mister Brekker. I'm counting on it. As soon as the Council received Bo Yul-Bayur's message, I began buying up jurda fields in Novyi Zem. When parem is unleashed on the world, every country, every government will be clamoring for a ready supply of it to use on their Grisha."

"Chaos," said Matthias.

"Yes," said Van Eck. "Chaos will come, and I will be its master. Its very wealthy master."

"Nothing makes more sense for you than a god-complex, Van Eck," Feta called out.

"You will be ensuring slavery and death for Grisha everywhere," Inej said.

Van Eck raised a brow and looked between the two girls. "You both look too young to understand. Nations rise and fall. Markets are made and unmade. When power shifts, someone always suffers."

"When profit shifts," Jespers shot back.

Van Eck's expression was sickeningly bemused. "Aren't they one and the same?"

"When the Council finds out—" Inej began.

"The Council will never hear of this," Van Eck said. "Why do you think I chose scum from the Barrel as my champions? Oh, you are resourceful and far more clever than any mercenaries, I give you that. But more important, you will not be missed."

Van Eck lifted his hand. The Tidemakers spun their arms. Kaz heard a yell and turned to see a coil of water looming over Rotty. It slammed down on the longboat, smashing it to bits as he dove for cover. Feta's hands twitched at her sides.

"None of you will leave this island, Mister Brekker. All of you will vanish, and nobody will care." He raised his hand again, and the Tidemakers responded. A massive wave roared toward the Ferolind.

"No!" cried Jesper.

"Van Eck!" shouted Kaz. "Your son is on that ship."

Van Eck's gaze snapped to Kaz. Just as predicted, he blew the whistle. The Tidemakers froze, awaiting instruction. Reluctantly, Van Eck dropped his hand. They let the wave fall harmlessly, the displaced sea sloshing against the side of the Ferolind.

"My son?" Van Eck said.

"Wylan Van Eck."

"Mister Brekker, surely you must know that I sent my son packing months ago."