48

|   |   |
M Y  G I R L
|   |   |

VAN ECK'S GUARDS AND GRISHA closed in, sweeping the mercher and the trunk of kruge through the air, onto the waiting brigantine. Vengeance for Jordie, all Kaz had worked for, was slipping away. He didn't care.

"You have one week to bring me the real Kuwei," Van Eck shouted. "Or they'll hear that girl's screams all the way back in Fjerda. And if that still doesn't move you, I'll let it be known that you're harboring the most valuable hostage in the world. Every gang, government, smuggler, and spy will be after you and the Dregs. You'll have nowhere to hide."

"Kaz, I can make the shot," said Jesper, holstering his revolvers and grabbing for his rifle. "Van Eck is still in range."

And all would be lost — Feta, the money, everything.

"No," said Kaz. "Let them go."

The sea was flat, dead, unmoving, as if in mourning for their favorite Tidemaker. No breeze blew, but Van Eck's remaining Squallers filled the ship's sails with a driving wind.

Kaz watched the brigantine surge across the water toward Ketterdam, to safety, to a fortress built on Van Eck's impeccable mercher reputation. He felt as he had looking into the darkened windows of the house on Zelverstraat. Helpless once more. He'd prayed to the wrong god.

Slowly, Jesper lowered his rifle.

"Van Eck will send soldiers and Grisha to search for Kuwei," said Matthias.

"He won't find him. Or Nina." Not in the Slat or any other part of the Barrel. Nowhere in Ketterdam. The previous night, Kaz had ordered Specht to take Kuwei and Nina from the Ferolind in the second longboat — the one he'd told Jesper was being repaired. They were safely stashed in the abandoned cages below the old prison tower at Hellgate. Kaz had made a few inquiries when he'd visited the harbor to contact Van Eck. After the disaster at the Hellshow, the cages had been flooded to purge them of beasts and bodies; they'd been empty ever since. Matthias had hated the idea of letting Nina go anywhere without him, especially in her state, but Kaz convinced him that keeping her and Kuwei aboard the Ferolind would leave them exposed.

Kaz marveled at his own stupidity. Dumber than a pigeon fresh off the boat and looking to make a fortune on East Stave. His greatest vulnerability had been right beside him. And now she was gone.

Jesper was staring at Wylan, his eyes roving over the black hair, the golden eyes. "Why?" he said at last. "Why would you do this?"

Wylan shrugged. "We needed leverage."

"That's Kaz's voice talking."

"I couldn't let you all walk into a hostage exchange thinking I was some kind of insurance."

"Nina tailored you?"

"The night we left Djerholm."

"That's why you disappeared during the journey," said Jesper. "You weren't helping Matthias care for Nina. You were hiding."

"I didn't hide," Wylan said indignantly.

"You...how many times was it you standing beside me on the deck at night when I thought it was Kuwei?"

"Every time."

"Nina might not be able to put you back, you know. Not without another dose of parem. You could be stuck like this."

"Why does it matter?"

"I don't know!" Jesper said angrily. "Maybe I liked your stupid face." He turned to Matthias. "You knew. Wylan knew. Inej knew. Feta knew. Everyone knew but me."