Chapter 01: Sniper's Nest

"Yes Mum," I said through the phone and nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "I'm fine. I got back safely and now I'm at my apartment."

Pressing the phone between my shoulder and my ear, I fumbled in my bag for my keys. My mother carried on about my safety and in all honesty, I wasn't listening to her anymore.

I said a hasty goodbye to her as I shoved the keys into the lock, grateful to finally be where I could put the homesickness to rest. I wondered if I should invite over my best friend, Justin to come and study for the huge test we had at the end of the week. It was the reason after all why I had had to cut my holiday short since they had pushed up the date.

Twisting the knob, I gasped at the disarray in which my apartment lay. Couch pillows were strewn all over the wooden floors. All the furniture had been moved, especially the big coffee table that lay in the middle of the room which had now been pushed over to the large window. The kitchen cupboards were all open, dirty plates were strewn around and all of the curtains were closed except for the ones by the large window.

What the fuck had actually happened here?

Heavy thuds sounded from upstairs and I recognized them as footsteps coming down the staircase. Was I being robbed currently? Somewhere in the back of my mind I was vaguely aware that I should have called the police or gotten out of there as fast as I could, but I was frozen still.

I was just a college student. I didn't really have much to take or anything of worth really. Except perhaps my Winter Soldier poster that I had hung up in my bedroom, but that was of a more personal view. Still, I really hoped that it was still intact and that the robber wasn't total Marvel trash like I was.

Still in my disbelieving state, I watched in silence as a Hispanic man, probably a couple years older than I was and entirely clad in black, hurried down the stairs with a large bag in his hands. His brown hair was cut just over his chin and he looked like he was in a rush. He didn't take any notice of me, probably because he hadn't seen me standing in the doorway. He unzipped the big black bag and pulled out a long gun and from playing COD for endless hours I recognised it as a sniper rifle. I gasped as he set it down on the coffee table as if it were as ordinary as a cup.

He also heard me gasp.

He spun around and stared at me with a look of complete surprise and shock. His movement had been so quick I hadn't noticed it, but he had pulled out a pistol from his waistband and was now aiming it at me.
He had moved so expertly, as if he did this everyday.

I opened my mouth to stutter something but I couldn't formulate words. The look of shock and surprise on his face had faded quickly and was now replaced by confusion. He raised an eyebrow and eyed my suitcases.

Then he just sighed as if were annoyed and quickly tucked the gun back in his black pants. He raised his hands, probably to calm me down and reassure me he wasn't going to kill me because I was still standing with my mouth open, hardly breathing.

Suddenly coming to my senses, I turned and bolted out the door. He swore and I could hear his footsteps chase after me as I sprinted down the hall. I was never one for sport, so this extensive effort had me panting and I was sure I was mostly running on adrenaline. Unfortunately, he was faster than I was and clamped a hand on my arm before I could reach the elevator.

I opened my mouth to yell out but he turned me around quickly and engulfed me in his arms. My face was pressed against his chest and he was holding me so tightly I could hardly breathe. I squirmed a little just so I could breathe a little easier but his arms tightened around me, keeping my mouth pressed shut.

The ding of the elevator sounded and I made a muffled squeak which only made the man's arm somehow tighten. Was he a fucking boa constrictor or something? My bones felt like they were rubbing together. I hoped whomever was on that elevator could see I was in distress and do something about it.