Chapter 11

*The picture is a rough idea of how Hailey's dress is going to be. It sucks, I know, so for a better picture you can go here: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?page=14&style=A3403  Thanks you! Comment & Vote :) *

Chapter 11

            When I arrived back home, Aunt Lily was hidden in her office. With my heels in hand I tiptoed across the floor to find her. I did not want to interrupt her; I bet she was drawing or sewing something which took much concentration. I felt my question was going to be best asked now, though, rather than later. I reached out to the sliding mahogany doors and knocked quietly. “May I come in?” I asked in a whisper.

            “Come on in, dear.” Lily said. I slid the door open and closed. I assessed her room. It had dark, mahogany floors that matched the doors. The walls were painted a deep gold color with lighter gold paint sponged on top. A large drawing table sat in the corner—where Lily was sitting—and a small, office desk sat in the other corner. A couple mannequins with clothing in various stages of completion collected near the sewing machine. Mountains of fabric—wool, lace, cotton, and ungodly amounts of tool—sat upon a large black filing cabinet. Her office was a little chaotic, but it was organized to her, I supposed. She must know where everything is—even if I didn’t. “Have a seat.” she directed, pointing to a slim, black leather spinning chair.

            “Thank you.”

            “I’m just sketching out some new designs for spring—I know it’s only October, but I like to be prepared.” She chuckled. Lily looked up briefly from her work to glance at me, “How was your date?”

            “Lovely,” I answered. “He rented out the entire Metro Entertainment Complex for us.”

            “Really? That boy has it bad for you girl! But you didn’t come in here to tell me about your boyfriend, did you?” It’s funny how moms, or aunts, always know when you want something. It’s a skill I hope to gain someday.

            “No.” I smiled apologetically.

            She put down her pencil and spun to look at me, “What’s up Hailey? What can I do for you?”

            I shuffled my feet and shifted around in my chair. “Daniel’s parents are having their annual Halloween masquerade next week and I was wondering if you could help me out with a costume. I know what I want to wear, but I don’t know if you would be willing to do it. I know you’re busy.”

            “Oh! That sounds great; I’d love to make it, darling. What do you think you want?” Lily asked.

            “I want to be Cinderella—” I was going to go into detail, but she suddenly spun back around in her chair, tore off the page she was working on, and began to draw.

            “I’ve got an idea.” she explained. Her pencil began to move so fast across the new sheet of paper I could hardly see it. “Come look.” She invited.

            I peeked over her shoulder. I saw a general outline of my body and a silhouette of the gown. “There’s a beaded, lace-up top and then it goes out into a fluffy, princess dress.” Lily explained. She sketched out something else—a mask. “It will be beaded and glittery as well.” She promised.

            “How are you going to do this all in a week? It seems like a lot.”

            Lily half smiled, “It won’t be easy, that is for sure. But my girls will help me. Laura does the most ornate looking beading; I’ll let her work on that, which is the element that will be taking up the most time.”