Chapter Three: Uncertainties

The next day

Justin Timberlake sat thoughtfully on a swivel chair, lost in thought. He rewrapped the towel around his neck and stared at the soundboard in front of him.

Since 6 a.m. that morning he'd been in the studio, laying down vocals for a movie soundtrack until his throat was hoarse. Each song seemed to require more takes than necessary. No one was saying anything, but Justin knew his usual focus was off. He'd come in that morning expecting to be all business, all work.

Then J.C. had stumbled in bleary-eyed and sporting the widest smile Justin had ever seen. As the others watched, he'd sipped his coffee carefully to avoid burning his tongue, but could hardly wait to start talking. So all five band members ended up blowing alternately into his drink, trying to help him along so he could begin telling his tale.

And finally, to their amazement, J.C. spilled the story: How he'd set up the empty lot with props, soliciting the help of assistant stage managers next door. How he'd gotten dusty scrounging around old prop closets looking for the street lamp and bench; how he insisted on tracking down a Ferris Wheel seat. How he had a flash of insecurity when he knelt, wondering if there was any chance Emma would turn him down. But then how she'd laughed, and he knew he was silly for thinking such a thing.

"You're .... engaged?" Chris stuttered.

J.C. nodded, beaming.

"You could've at least told us," Lance protested. "We would've liked to know."

"I know, guys," J.C. said, taking another gulp of his coffee and feeling his body wake up. "I just ... I dunno. I had to get it just right, and I was afraid to tell anyone about it in case something went wrong."

"But there were prop people, assistant people out there who knew what was going on," Chris said in a scolding tone, folding his hands. "I don't know if I can live with that, J.C. I don't know if I can sleep at night knowing that Joe Stage Assistant knew my friend was proposing to his girlfriend before I did."

"I think I'm going to cry," Joey said, sniffling. "Our friend ... our brother ... didn't tell us anything. He didn't trust us."

"He doesn't love us anymore!" Chris broke out in a dramatic cry, and Joey began to sob crocodile tears on his shoulder.

Lance, J.C. and Justin began laughing at the drama. J.C. came to stand between Chris and Joey and clapped a hand on Chris' shoulder, saying, "Don't worry. I'll make it up to you somehow. Maybe when I get married you guys can be the ring bearer."

"Excuse me," Chris said haughtily. "Isn't that for a child?"

Silence.

"Oh."

"I'm sure you'll do a fine job," J.C. said with a chuckle. "But if the little tux doesn't fit you, you may just have to be my groomsmen."

There was a stunned pause. J.C. looked from face to face.

"Come on, guys," he said sincerely, setting his coffee mug down and rubbing his eyes to perk them awake. "You know I couldn't get married without you all standing next to me. Whaddya think? The four of you? Can I get a collective 'Amen'?"

"AMEN!" With a series of whoops, the friends gathered around J.C., slapping him on the back and bear-hugging him at the same time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was only six hours ago, but Justin repeated the scene in his mind like a broken record. He ran his hand over the soundboard controls and spun slowly around in his chair.