Chapter Sixteen: Promises

As the minister began the ceremony, Madeline cast her gaze around the white-covered sanctuary. She saw J.C. six feet in front of her, wearing a nervous expression that made his defined jaw jut out a little more than usual. She saw the slight quiver of Emma's veil, and knew the bride was trembling.

Then the first hymn was introduced, and Madeline quietly sang along with everyone else, keeping one eye on the words and the other on Justin. But try as she might, she could not get one nagging thought out of her head:

This thong is killing me.

She nearly burst out laughing, and noticed Justin's eyes quickly steer in her direction. He gave her a questioning glance, and she couldn't figure out how to communicate her dilemma.

So she gave him her most uncomfortable gaze, twisting her lips into a knot and looking at him helplessly. And to her surprise, he shot her a mischievous grin and winked, letting his mouth form the words: "thong, thuh-thong-thong-thong."

It had always been strange that way; Madeline often never had to say a word, merely give him a glance, and he knew her words before she said them. Maybe it was her naturally expressive face, a skill she'd developed during her acting days. Maybe it was his expertise over her features, which he'd studied carefully from the day he met her. Or it could be just a strange spiritual connection.

Being on new ground with Justin only made the wedding even happier for Madeline; she couldn't imagine what her day would have been like if she and Justin were still apart, yet walking down the aisle together at the end of the ceremony.

But there he was, glancing her way whenever appropriate, hands clasped in front of him and looking positively sinful in a killer black suit.

Whatever it takes, I won't lose him again, Madeline thought with determination. It's gonna work this time. It has to. What will I do otherwise?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pastor John finished his sermon with a prayer, then proclaimed, "Emma and J.C., please turn toward one another."

The couple obliged. Emma gave her bouquet to Taryn and turned to face J.C., who took her hands in his. Taryn passed both her flowers and Emma's to Madeline so she could be free to dutifully straighten Emma's train.

"J.C.," Pastor John said. "Will you take Emma to be your wedded wife, to live together in a holy marriage? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live? If you do, please answer 'I will.'"

"I will." He winked.

"Emma," the pastor continued. "Will you take J.C. to be your wedded husband, to live together in a holy marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live? If you do, please answer 'I will.'"

"I will," she said softly.

Pastor John addressed the crowd. "Emma and J.C. have chosen to write their own vows for the occasion. We're going to start with Emma, because she has told me if she doesn't go first she may be too hysterical to talk after J.C. says his."

The congregation laughed as The pastor leaned in slightly so that his wireless microphone could pick up their voices, and Emma gulped before she began to speak.

"Joshua Scott Chasez," she said. "I think I could just stand here, looking at you, and you would know exactly what I have to say. But for the sake of the hundreds of ears out there, I'll put it into words.