Chapter VIII || Part Two

Part Two

The Rise of Empress Nightingale

Her lips were glossed, giving a plush appearance, her cheeks were painted with color, and her eyelashes were made longer. The gold tiara felt heavy upon (Y/N)'s head. The metal crown was fashioned similarly to a headpiece, its jagged form shaped into tall, sharp leaflets that held diamonds. Shielding her face was a white veil, hiding away the heavy frown on her face.

Yet through the translucent veil, Beowulf could still see the misery and fatigue on (Y/N)'s face. He remembered the joy and the delight she had when she was going to marry Atticus, but now it was all gone.

Between the silence of the pair, all that could be heard were the sounds of hooves as a series of horses dragged their carriage.

"I'm sorry," (Y/N) mutters, pulling Beowulf out of his thoughts.

"What?" His brows furrow in confusion.

"When I married Atticus, I asked you to give me away without knowing how you felt. And now I'm making you do it again," (Y/N) mumbles.

The sun ignites the capital like a shining jewel The footpaths were crowded with stalls selling sacks of nuts and dried fruit, or meat roasting on roasting skewers. It was a day of celebration! The capital was drowning in a sea of people, the common folk all eager to see the new empress for the first time in her wedding gown.

"(Y/N)--" Beowulf began, only to be interrupted by the sound outside.

The people cheered as they watched the imperial carriage slowly approach. It was an elaborate display of red fabric with gold embroidered metals. White stallions, dressed in their finest materials, lead the carriage until it came to a halt before the capital's grand church.

The door slowly opens and the people held their breath as Beowulf stepped out first in order to help (Y/N) down the carriage steps. Citizens erupted into great cheers as they bore witness to the empress.

(Y/N) slips her hand into the crook of Beowulf's elbow as two servants adjust the train of her gown. Two guards were stationed beside the opened mahogany doors.

With just a peek inside, (Y/N) could see the interior of the capital's church. A large stain-glass window stood behind the altar, providing sunlight to those who enter. The brightly lit passageway illuminated the white tiled floors with a long red carpet. Dozens of pews, each filled to the brim with aristocrats, line one behind the other along from half of the room to the front. A large stage was set, made with red carpeting over the elongated stairway. The altar was magnificent with flowers along its edges and statues that were dressed in armor and wielded swords were made with shining porcelain color stone. Candles and tall candelabras align the room to provide more light.

A pipe organ resonates within the church, signifying the arrival of the bride. Soon, the pair step forward.

Towards the end of the red carpet, before the altar, a priest stood beside the emperor. Ambrose wore a long white coat that stopped just above his knees. The sleeves were slim with a decorative gold band at their edges. A white cape was draped over his shoulder and fell gently to his heels. His ivory-colored trousers were tucked into his boot and his jagged crown rested upon his tousled dark hair.

A softness flashed for a brief moment across Ambrose's eyes only to settle for a glare once they land upon Beowulf.

The young man wore his general uniform. A long-sleeved jacket that covered him well above his waist and was decorated with golden outlines and large shank buttons along its center. Various awarded metals were pinned to his chest, displaying the honor that was bestowed upon him by the imperial family.