six

Emily felt hands grab her and cover her mouth, she struggled against the person before her blind fold was suddenly ripped off. It was Peter! He lifted her bridal style and smiled.

They flew away, Tinkerbell making the ticking sounds of the crocodile as they went. Emily could hear shouts and cheering as they hid out of sight before quietly lowering onto the deck as the pirates ran around. Wendy and the boys gasped and let out short laughs before stopping as Hook turned around in suspicion, Peter and Emily hiding behind a post.

Peter quietly unsheathed his dagger as Hook slowly made his way down the stairs beside him. The shadow of the crocodile frightened one of the pirates causing him to fall backwards into the water, distracting Hook.

“What was that?!” He shouted as Emily ran into the captain’s quarters and Peter hid among the boys and Wendy.

Emily began to grab as many swords as she could carry, shouts and gunshots were loud before it went silent. Emily stood in the shadows of the doorway as she watched Hook slowly approach Peter, trying not to drop the swords.

“So, Peter Pan. This is all your doing.”

Hook and Peter began to circle each other, “Aye, James Hook. It’s all my doing.”

“Proud and insolent youth, prepare to meet thy doom.” Hook unsheathed his sword.

“Have at thee!”

A great fight between Peter and Hook began, pirates surrounding the two, with them all distracted Emily began to hand Wendy and the boys swords. “Leave him! He’s mine.”

“Now!” Peter yells.

The children all jumped out from their hiding spots with shouts jumping into fights with the first pirates they saw. Emily smiled wide as she fought harshly against a pirate, this was the kind of adventure she wanted. 

Emily and Wendy were back to back as they fought, making brief eye contact before ducking down allowing the pirates to stab each other. Emily ran off to the next fight, catching a glimpse of Peter and Hook flying in the air as she did, this next pirate was as harsh as the last. 

Emily didn’t notice Peter and Hook staring down at her as she fought, her smile as clear as day. It was only a few moments later when she heard Peter shout her name, sparing a glance up Hook and Peter were face to face before Hook kicked him away. She fought harder against the pirate wishing she could help Peter.

However, all fighting ceased as Peter fell to the ground panting. Hook lifted his head with his sword and forced him to his feet before kicking him roughly into the post, grabbing him by his throat. 

“Peter!” Emily screamed as she was lifted by a pirate and the sword was knocked out of her hands.

Hook hit Peter on the head, forcing him to his knees, and pulled his head back by his hair. Hook spoke in a low voice, “You die alone and unloved.” 

“Unloved.” A pirate repeated to Emily as Hook forced Peter to face her, tears welling in both of their eyes.

“Just like me.” whispers Hook. He shoves Peter to the ground as Emily shouts, Wendy and the boys looking away not wanting to watch Hook kill Peter.

Peter rolls onto his back and stares at Emily, she silently begged him to get up and fight, he sends an almost unnoticeable smile. He faces Hook and makes no move to save himself as the pirate raises his hook. Emily jerked her head back, hitting the pirate holding her in the nose, and grabbed onto Hook to prevent him from hurting the boy.

Hook shoved her down beside Peter and turned to the other children as they shouted, “Silence, all, for Emily’s farewell.”

Emily sniffled as she rolled to her side to face Peter, “Peter. I’m sorry. I must grow up. But. . . this is yours.” Emily slowly raised her closed fist to Peter’s face before Hook grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a sitting position. “‘Tis just a thimble.”