Goodbye Betty

Betty and I drove the newly betrothed couple back to Tom's. Wow, will his parent's ever be surprised. They always liked Julie but Mr. Davis used to constantly lecture Tom about never  keeping a flame lit for someone who doesn't return the fire. 

During the drive back, Betty chatted away about how happy she was for them and how she had always hoped they would end up together. It was a love story, she called it. Me, on the other hand, I stayed silent, dreaming about my upcoming evening.

After we dropped them off, I drove Betty to her grandfather's house in what can best be described as a very uncomfortable silence. Tom's words echoed in my head. I do appreciate what I have, I thought. I just need to do this. God wouldn't have brought Lulu to me if there wasn't a reason.

My Pa's words suddenly entered my mind; be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it. I quickly brushed his words aside ascribing the thought to Tom's lecture. Tonight was going to be the greatest night of my life. After this, I'll be able to settle into a mundane reality. I looked at Betty sitting in the car, angry. Even now she was beautiful. I suppose if I had to spend the rest of my life with anyone, she would do just fine. I'll be happy.

As we drove up the narrow winding streets of Beverly Hills, Betty stared aimlessly at the endless parade of mansions avoiding any possibility of accidentally making eye contact with me. I had never seen Betty so angry that she couldn't even speak about it.

The sudden sound of screeching tires broke the silence. I had driven through a stop sign. A Mercedes convertible coming from a side street had slammed on the breaks, stopping inches from my side door.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" the driver, a middle aged man, yelled from his car.

"Sorry," I yelled back as I continued up the hill.

"What's happening to you Adam," Betty asked? "You've been behaving strangely ever since you came back from the washroom at the concert. Is there something wrong?"

"There's nothing wrong," I answered.

We arrived at her grandfather's. As soon as Billy heard the car park he raced out of the house to greet us. Betty opened her own door and left the car. Billy ran right past his mother straight to me. "Hey Adam, guess what?" he said with a wide smile across his adorable face.

"You're going to be the starting quarterback for the Rams this Sunday," I said with over-exuberance. "It's all over the news!"

"No it's not," he replied as if I was being serious. "Grandpa bought me a Frisbee. Wanna go to the back yard and play?"

"He can't," Betty told him sadly. "He has to work tonight." She looked at me angrily. "Isn't that the excuse, dear?"

I put on a brave face. "That's right kiddo, I have to work, but don't worry there's always tomorrow."

Billy playfully lifted himself on the car door and leaned over me. "But its Saturday," he protested. "You're boss is mean."

"He's not mean. He's just taking care of his business. When you're a grown up you'll understand."

"I never want to grow up if it means having to work on Saturday," he replied with a pouty face. "Do you have to go to work?"

"He does," Betty answered. "You're leaving now, right Adam?"

I was going to say I'm leaving now but Aunt Irma ran out the front door before I had the chance. "Adam," she yelled out, "your mother's on the phone for you. She doesn't sound well at all. She says it's urgent."
Oh crap, I thought. Ma is always around to ruin anything that makes me happy. "I'll be right in."