16. Healer

ASTRID

The pathway to Korra’s cabin is as I remembered it. A picturesque worn trail through short shrubs and tall pines weaving around dark tourmaline boulders. The peace and tranquility of the land belie the turmoil in my gut.

I haven’t seen Mateo since we parted after our talk last night. He didn’t come back to the Alpha suite in the morning and I didn’t see him at breakfast.

I’m still trying to comprehend everything that happened last night.

Dinner had been an emotional roller coaster, one I would not have survived if Runa has not guided me through. She sensed Xolo’s anxiety and his sudden need to be reassured that everything was okay.

I was far from okay. Although lap sitting is fairly common among our species, it was not something I had ever done before. Runa took it in stride and helped me relax and go with the motions.

Motions. That’s exactly what they were. Acting on pure instinct to placate the needs of our wolves while our human instincts rebelled.

I could feel Mateo’s conflict, his displeasure that he had to act in a certain way all for his wolf. I want more from our mate bond than just acts of instinct. Maybe I want too much.

Varu and Deena are wonderful females, both older than me by about eight years but come with a wealth of experience and knowledge they are more than willing to share.

Varu is warm and understanding, a natural mother figure. Deena is all Gamma, a firecracker with a cheeky streak and is seriously fit and fast.

Our run this morning had me ashamed of my lack of fitness.

“No problem Luna, keep up the early runs with me and I’ll have you giving the Alpha a run for his money in no time,” she said to me sympathetically as I lay on the grass, my lungs bursting for air after a short five mile jog.

I am so unfit it’s embarrassing and the last thing I want is for Mateo to be embarrassed by me.

“Okay Deena, my ass is yours every morning.” I groaned, reluctant for the oncoming pain but determined to make Mateo proud nonetheless.

She chuckled.

“Don’t go offering your ass out willy-nilly, Alpha may just kill someone over it since he’s not going to get any of it for a while.”

I blushed hiding my face under a sweaty arm.

“I feel so bad about that.”

Deena nodded with a sympathetic smile.

“Don’t worry about it, the pack have been told the situation and understand. In fact most are excited about having a Luna who is also a healer, it’s quite an honor for the pack, we all feel blessed by the Goddess.”

Thinking about her words as I walk up the final length of the pathway to Korra’s cabin I pray that I can return the honor the Goddess has bestowed upon me and finish my training properly.

Goddess knows the temptation to give in to Mateo is overwhelming at times. As saddened as I am that he is keeping his distance I am also happy he is respecting my wishes.

“Korra?” I call out as I approach the small cabin.

The door opens and Korra pops her grayed head out the door with a smile.

“Right on time Luna, come in, come in.” She beckons and I follow her through the door into the cabin.

It hasn’t changed one bit since I was here three years ago.

Every wall filled with bottles and mason jars, dried herbs and flowers hanging from the ceiling. A cauldron bubbles over a fire place making the cabin look like a witches hut out of a fairy tail book.