Chapter 12: Hide and Seek

I watched as Demetri's fingers flew across the sliding keyboard of my phone. He moved quick and once done, her showed me what he had typed: 'Got sick. Won't be coming home or leaving Greece for a bit.'

"Can you add 'XOXO' to the bottom?" I asked, leaning over his shoulder.

"'XOXO'?" he asked, turning to face me.

Our noses brushed against one another's and I placed a tender kiss on his lips. "It means hugs and kisses."

"I see," he hummed, catching my lips in another quick kiss.

He pulled away and added 'XOXO' to the end. He showed me the screen once more and I nodded. Demetri pushed the button and the text pinged, indicating that it had been sent successfully.

Once done, he placed my phone back in the suitcase. I reached for my necklace, the one that the strange woman had given me back in Agia Galini, something that I had gotten into the habit of doing when I became lost on thought. My fingers brushed against my neck and I froze.

"My necklace," I gasped, "it's gone!"

Demetri turned around and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "It's not gone, I have it."

"You do?" I placed my hand around my neck and frowned, "When did you take it?"

"Yesterday, when you were pinned against the rock."

Memories of Demetri on his knees flooded my mind. He looked so beautiful on his knees with my legs draped over his shoulder. A familiar heat flickered to life in my lower abdomen, a heat that only Demetri could create, and I squeezed my legs together. I quickly looked away from him and closed my eyes. I had to calm down.

"Could I, uh," I took a breath, "could I get it back?"

Demetri nodded, "Only if you close your eyes and keep them closed until I tell you to open them."

"Whatever for?" I demanded, daring to glance back at him.

The tracker looked at me with an arched brow and a cheeky smile. He walked towards me, eyes locked on me and with a confident swagger. He stopped in front of me and brought a hand up. His palm rested against my cheek and he leaned down, stopping a few centimeters before our lips could touch.

"Close your eyes, my dear." His breath fanned across my face and my eyes fluttered shut. He pressed a kiss on my forehead and I could feel him smiling. "Good girl."

Venom pooled into my mouth and I quickly swallowed it. Demetri could ask me to climb into an active volcano and I would do it; he held a power over me, and I didn't mind.

I could hear him ruffling through a bag and I contemplated on whether or not to open my eyes. I wanted to see what her was doing, and why he needed my necklace, but I decided against it. I trusted Demetri with my immortal life. If he wanted to play a strange game than so be it.

The sound of metal caught my attention and I frowned. What was he doing? The temptation was too great. I quickly covered my eyes with my hand before I could sneak a peak, and I heard Demetri chuckle from across the room.

Footfalls sounded and I became giddy. Demetri circled me and I tapped my foot, "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Maybe," he teased, finally settling behind me. 

Demetri placed something cool and slightly heavy against my neck — it was a necklace, but it felt too heavy to have been the one I had been previously wearing. He secured the fasting and leaned down, planting kisses along the curve of my neck, stopping now and then to nip.