Escape - CL16

You reached for your phone. There was only one person you wanted to see right now. Charles. You dialled his number, let it do it's 3 tones and then hung up. You didn't know how far away Aaron would be and you wanted to be safe.

You and Charles had set up the 3 tones system when you both got your first phone, at 11. If you needed help, in any way, but couldn't talk, 3 tones of calling the other and they'd come. For the first 4 years, is was mostly used for escaping sleepovers you didn't want to be at or getting out of homework. Now, it was often used for something neither of you ever wanted it to be used for.

He was there in minutes. He reached his arm out and you threw yourself into his arms.

"Do I need to take you to the hospital?" he asked. You shook your head. "Y/N, your my best friend, and I love you so much, but honestly, I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this. Tell me your going to leave this time." he told you. The tears that had only just started to dry up were now flowing again.

"For God's sake, Y/N!" he shouted. It pained you that he was right. He was right every single time but somehow, morning would come and everything he said, was counteracted by a thought you would gather about Aaron.

Charles took a deep breath, calming and composing himself.

"There's a pint of ice-cream in the freezer for when that bastard breaks your heart." he said, slamming the apartment door behind him. Tears began to stream down your face once more. He was f*cking right. Aaron would break your heart sooner or later, he didn't want a future with marriage and kids, but you did. Even if you didn't leave him, he'd get bored soon, and leave you.

Anytime you brought it up, Aaron's behaviour was worse than most people could imagine but even though, everytime you promised yourself it'd never happen again, you went back. It was a vicious cycle that wasn't just tearing you apart. Everyone around you hated seeing you this way and wanted nothing more than for it to stop.

Sobs escaped your mouth. You stood up, grabbed a bag and shoved it full with whatever your shaking mind thought of. You then put your phone, watch, laptop, house key and engagement ring on the bedside cabinet and left.

Now, even if you wanted to contact Aaron, or get back in the apartment, you couldn't. There was also no way of him talking to you or tracking where you were. You then walked for what felt like forever before reaching the apartment block where Charles lived.

You couldn't face what the future would hold. As your mind spiralled, you sat down on the curb, taking in the fresh air.

"You left.." you heard Charles' familiar voice say. You stayed sat on the curb, wary that your emotions felt uncontrollable. 

"I'm so proud of you. C'mon, let's go inside." he said, holding out his hand for you to take and picking up your bag. You took his hand and let him lead you to his apartment.