i - maria

Ketterdam, Kerch

Another swig of the cheap vodka in her hand and maybe she'll sleep properly tonight. It's been, what? More than two months since she's been in the water? Luda was definitely overdue for a deep swim. The short shallow baths weren't enough for this sea creature anymore, she needed it.

She placed a hand on the back of her neck and rolled it clockwise. Luda changed course over to the docks. It was late at night so there wouldn't be too suspicious if some random girl jumped into the freezing cold water. She was already tired from the odd singing gigs at any tavern that'll accept her. Fuck whoever saw her siren form, Luda didn't have one to give.

The Ketterdam harbor was busier than the previous nights. Luda grazed over the docks, figures; tourist boats. They were everywhere, not just in Ketterdam, at every new district she visits at a time. Ketterdam is just the only place she's been at the longest as of this moment. She looked over the names plastered on them; RS Martin, The Black Pearl, Sankta Blessed, The Volkvolny... The Volkvolny?

Luda stepped closer, but still hid behind piles of exports. She pulled the brim of her hat deeper over her head. Her eyes peeled over the hardened cargo. They scanned over all crew members that walked on or off the little platform. There were some familiar faces, and others that were new. Confusion took over though; no where was the Captain found.

There didn't looked to be anything of importance being dragged onto the ship. Just the usual cargo of food and supplies, but why Kerch, or more specifically, Ketterdam of all places? And why when Luda was overdue for a dip in saltwater? Luda bit the inside of her mouth in annoyance. Then two people walked off the boat; the twins.

Yep. Definitely the right Volkvolny.

Luda stepped backwards to safely exist without a scene. There wouldn't be one if she was looking behind her. Luda's back made contact with someone and made both of them fall backwards into open boxes of apples, chickens and fresh fish. The commotion drew the eyes of all surrounding. Luda scrammed away on her hands and knees to avoid any of the water from the fish tanks that were approaching her like a tsunami. Luda stood up in such a rush her head began to spin.

"Oi!" A hand grabbed onto her raw wrist. She snapped her head to the merchant, "pick those up!"

Luda snapped her head back to the ship, and her heartbeat paced. The twins, and a well-dressed man in complete head to toe black were drawn to the ruined scene. All three began to approach, and her breathing got heavy.

"Oi! Missy!" The merchant gripped harder enough to bruise. "What are ya? Deaf!? Pick those UP!"

Without a second thought, Luda smashed her boot onto the merchant's foot and sprinted away. Where to? Nobody knew, not even her in that moment. She just needed to run. Down alleyways, through the streets, infront of moving carriages and pass many faces, Luda couldn't bother looking behind her in case anyone chased her down.

Hidden behind two dumpster, Luda took her hat off her head and fanned herself. She poked her head around the corner of the buildings, and sighed in relief at the familiar settings. And so, she placed her exotic hat back onto her head and walked toward the inn.

The Lanky Donkey Inn was fast approaching her vision. May not be much but it's the best for those you want to hide. Luda exhaled loud and hard. She pulled her bag closer when her feet touched the porch.

"Maria! Maria!" Two kids approached her. It was the little girls of the owner. Everyone seems to assume her name is Maria for odd reasons. "You're back!"

Luda waved shortly with a smile at the young girls then walked through the door. The two children followed the silent women like kittens. Luda stepped up to the counter and pulled out a wad of cash. The older girl stepped onto a box to reach up. She pulled out a log book and a pen too.