- 11 -

"But I will protect you, Marinette. I promise."

_______________

I stare at the silhouette of his face, still turned away from me. The sun illuminates his shape, I see his chest rise and fall. His eyes, though, do not blink. They just stare.

"Are you okay?"

I realized I've spoken again before even considering what was next for me- for us.

Was there even an us? 

Had I gone partially insane? Here I am dressed as a man sprawled on the barren earth below me, staring up at a man dressed in black. A man who was trapped in who he'd become.

"Am I okay?" His voice shakes a bit, but his eyes remained locked on whatever he'd focused on.

"I don-t-"

And he stops. His head whips to where I'd come from. I heard and saw nothing, but his pupils became slits. He took in a deep breath, and the felt ears I'd assumed were fake swiveled in observance. Without warning, he suddenly pulls me to my feet and presses me to his chest. I can hear his breathing- his heart beat. I smell him just as I did the first night- though this time I sensed a hint of ash and charcoal.

Like he knew I was about to speak, his spare hand covers my mouth instantly. How he did so that fast, I had no clue. But my wide eyes just stare at him. Suddenly I feel a growl reverberate in his chest, and the hum of it carries into my body. I gulp, and continue to plea with my eyes for an explanation. 

"We must go." 

Before I can respond, my feet are suddenly no longer touching the ground and wind is whipping at my face. And then, we're in the air. I suppress a scream as we land in a tree, covered by the overgrowth. My eyes squint in an attempt to seen what he'd seen, but I soon realize even now my vision fails me as the orange hues disappear from the sky and a deep blue takes over. The cool wind brushes across my face, and I sigh. This causes him to hold me tighter, and I feel my face warm. The man is significantly taller than I am- probably by a good half foot. His frame is also broader than my own. I didn't picture myself in this predicament a couple hours ago, but here I was. 

From where he held me, I could see his blonde hair peaking out beneath the hood. His skin was clear, and tan. His eyes still greatly resembles a cat's- focused in on something I cannot see. Before I know it, my hand untucks itself from my side and I reach up to touch him. In an instant, his gaze is fixed on me and I feel his breath on my hand. 

Only centimeters separate us.

"It has to be close- did you see the damage back there?? The trees were still smoking!"

"Of course I did! Do you consider me blind?"

I freeze and suck in a breath. He holds me closer than I even thought possible.

"It's okay. They won't be able to see us from here, we are safe." He whispers into my ears. The forest had gone silent apart from the loud words of the two men.

My eyes couldn't focus on much anything else apart from his glowing eyes.

"We really shouldn't be out here. I don't have the best feeling." One of them says, all confidence from his previous statement nearly absent.

"I'm not scared of no 'thing'. See how it likes my sword, huh?" The other responds.

My heart rate quickens at the thought of him getting hurt, though moments ago I was ready to do as much damage as I could. 

"Nate, I want to go home." 

Clearly, the statement from the first hadn't helped his buddy's confidence.

"Maybe another night? When we have more men?" He adds, clearly unsure of his friends response.

"We know he's close! I can smell his fear from here!"

A low growl sounds from Chat's chest, one I'm sure they can hear from below. If I wasn't being held by him, aware he was right here, I would be afraid. Even with my situation now, the hairs on the back of my neck rose. He sounded like an animal, no hint of human or the man I had been talking to. I felt his muscles twitch and shift against me. 

"Do you- do you hear that??" the timid one says.

The other answers in silence only, and Chat only increases his growl. I wish he would stop, it's even spooking me. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I were in the man's shoes.

Though I am in mens shoes.

Footsteps begins to retreat slowly at first, then quickly. Before long, it's silent again in the forest. His growl ceases, and the buzzing stops. His body looses, and we begin descending to the ground.

My feet touch the earth, and he releases me from his hold. I'd grown slightly accustomed to it, so I didn't immediately withdraw. He clears his throat, then shuffles away.

"I do apologize for that, they did not have the kindest intentions. It's better for them to leave as quickly as possible."

I continue to stare at him, not responding.

"I better get you home, Marinette."

All my questions disappear from my mind as he takes my hand. A smile dusts across his face as he begins to lead me back towards where I came from, back to the town. A couple minutes later, we emerge from the woods line. The nearing town is dark, no sign of life nearby. 

"I'll be watching you by rooftops and shadows, please get home safe." He says with such a gentleness.

"Thank you" I squeak out. I have nothing else to say in the moment after seeing a glimpse of the life he must live. 

How long has this been his life?

I nod my head as I make up my mind to leave, pulling my gaze from his and beginning to walk out of the brush. 

"And Marinette?"

I pause but do not turn around.

"Do not come back."  The voice sounds like it was right next to my ear, I even felt his breath on my neck.

I spin around ready to look into his eyes, but I find nothing. No trace of the man dressed in black. No indention in the brush except for mine. It's like he'd never been there, though I knew he had. 

Taking a couple breaths, I turn back towards the town and begin my walk home.

_________

Hello again from the beyond. I suppose I'm here to update a bit? Better late than never.

-chattack