Prologue

Today was like any other day. lonely and peaceful. I live alone on top of a mountain.  Sure, most people would think that it's depressing but it's not so bad. I don't know who, but someone brings me supplies whenever I run low. like food, water, firewood, and coals. I'm not sure what happened to my family but it's alright. Oh yeah, I haven't introduced myself, have I? My name is Y/n. I'm not sure of my last name but it doesn't matter I don't think. Anyways, it was starting to get dark outside, so I was getting my new supplies in my house.

 As I was bringing the last load of the supplies, I started to hear growls. They didn't sound animalistic at all. They sounded human. I put the supplies down in the house and went towards the growls. "Hello is anyone there?" I asked loudly. The growls got louder and louder as I got closer. When I finally got close enough, I saw a figure hunched over. "Are you alright, do you need help?" I asked. The figure turned around and whatever they were, they weren't human. I started to back up after I saw what the figure looked like. I saw the figure look at me and it charged at me. I started to run after it saw me. I ran and ran and occasionally dodging when it lunged at me. I got backed into a corner with no weapons to save me from this monster.

 When I thought all hope was lost, a figure appeared behind the monster. "Flame Breathing First Form: Unknowing Fire." The man said as he swung his sword at the monster. The monster looked at the man in fear as his head was sliced off. "How... no... I can't die..." The monster spoke as he was slowly turning into dust. He looked at me with anger or maybe it was resentment or something. "You... got lucky kid... if he didn't show up... I would... have killed you." he monster said, and then he turned to dust. I let out a sigh of relief that I didn't realize I was holding. I then looked up at the man and noticed he was looking at me. 

 "Are you hurt anywhere?" The man asked as he bent down to look at me better. I looked down at myself and saw I had a few scratches on me. "Just a few scratches that's all." I said, "what was that thing?" "That thing was a demon." The man said as he looked over at my injuries. The man stood and picked me up. "You're not safe here anymore kid, I will take you to my estate and teach you how to be a demon slayer alongside my son." He told as he walked out of my house. "Who are you?" I asked. "My name is Shinjuro Rengoku, I am the current Flame Hashira in the Demon Slayer Corp." He told. "My name is Y/n" I told.

 A few days had passed, and we finally arrived at Shinjuro's estate. It was at least the size of two of my houses from the looks of the outside. When we got inside, I saw a woman with black hair and red eyes. "Welcome back Shinjuro, who is this?" The woman asked. Shinjuro put me down and put his hand on my head. "This is Y/n, she will be staying here until she is old enough to join the demon slayer corp." Shinjuro said. The woman bent down to look at me and slightly smiled at me. "My name is Ruka." The woman said and stood up and reached out for my hand, "come on, I'll introduce you to my oldest son." I nodded my head and took her hand. 

 Ruka then led me to a room where a kid that looks a few years older than me, and a kid who looks a few years younger than me was sitting. I let go of Ruka's hand and got behind her and grasped her kimono. "Boys I want you to meet someone." Ruka said to the kids. The two kids looked in our direction and noticed me behind Ruka. the older boy got up and came up to me. "Hello!" he said happily with a smile, "my name is Kyojuro Rengoku what's yours?" I gave a slight smile to the boy. "My name is Y/n, nice to meet you Kyojuro." I spoke. I then looked at the younger boy. "What's your name?" I asked. The younger boy looked nervous but spoke. "My name is Senjuro." he said. I smiled slightly as I thought about what my life will be like now. 'I think I'm going to like it here.' I thought.

 A few years have passed and Kyojuro has become a demon slayer while I'm still training. Sadly, there's more that's changed over the years. A while after I arrived here and settled in, Mrs. Ruka passed away from an illness. Since then, Mr. Shinjuro has been more hateful and mean towards all of us. He retired as a demon slayer, so now Kyojuro is the Flame Hashira. He even started training a girl named Mitsuri Kanroji and now she is the Love Hashira. Me and her gets along really well actually. I've been reading the book that Shinjuro used to read to us before Ruka died when Kyojuro isn't here. There's one part of the book that talks about 'Sun Breathing'. Apparently, all breathing techniques are derived from sun breathing. Also, the people who can use the technique has a pair of hanafuda earrings and has a mark on their forehead.  

 Pretty soon, it'll be time to take the demon slayer exam known as Final Selection. I've been training with Kyojuro recently just to be sure that I'm prepared for whatever demons I run across. Mitsuri came by and dropped off a few sweets for me to eat while me and Kyojuro was training. She even helped me train as well. a few days have passed and it's time for me to head off. "Be careful alright Y/n?" Senjuro asked me. I nodded my head. As I was heading out, I saw Shinjuro at the entrance to the estate. He didn't say anything but gave me something wrapped in cloth and walked off. I unwrapped it and saw it was a pair of Hanafuda earrings. I quickly put them on and headed on my way. I hope I'll be able to survive Final Selection.