Pomodoro

Let's face it, procrastination can be a major roadblock to getting stuff done. My favorite tool for stying on track is the Pomodoro timer.

So here is how it works: Use the timer on your phone or any kind of pomodoro app (there must be a thousand by now), set timer for 25 minutes and focus on the task that needs to get done.

When the timer goes off after 25 minutes, take a 5 minute break to recharge, stretch, hydrate, or do whatever helps you feel refreshed. Repeat this cycle four times, and then take a longer break of 15 to 30 minutes.

To make it more effective it helps to follow a few key principles:

Break tasks into small, manageable pieces: Apparently ADHD brains tend to get overwhelmed by big tasks, so breaking them down into bite-sized chunks can make them feel more achievable.

Make sure you keep things interesting: As someone with ADHD, I get bored a lot, and I get bored fast, so from experience I know that adding some novelty to your Pomodoro routine works wonders (so tr different apps or create your own timer (you can find one of mine below)).

Minimize distractions: During your 25-minute focus sessions, turn off notifications, close extra tabs on your computer, and put your phone on silent or in another room, and tell your siblings and parents to stay out of your room.

Be kind to yourself: If you get off track or have a bad day, don't beat yourself up - just start fresh tomorrow.