Wattpad Original

Ch. 31: Who Says Zombies Can't Fly?

I flashed my teeth at the charging Runner, fully prepared to get rid of the unwanted nuisance, but I didn't want to spill the blood in the cup. Nor could I just set it down with so many zombies just out of arm's reach.

With a powerful backward jump, I landed on top of the bus and set the travel mug down in a safe place. Then I turned my sights to the Runner scratching at the metal siding as it tried to climb up after me. I could hear the one inside still battering the door as he tried to get out.

It was time to get rid of our unwanted company, and I had a few unorthodox ideas about how to do so without potentially traumatizing our hitchhiker if his human mind was starting to stir.

I dropped back to the ground and immediately snagged the Runner's arm while twisting to the side. As his feet left the ground, I was able to grab his pantleg, and with a rapid twirl for speed—which also happened to knock over several zombies—I flung him through the air.

"Who says zombies can't fly?" I muttered as he disappeared into the sinkhole, and the ensuing thud and rolling sounds declared his crash landing.

I jogged over to a nearby car and pulled a stuffed teddy bear out of the back window. After picking up a chunk of pavement and shoving it inside the bear in a fashion that most Thanksgiving turkeys were familiar with, I whipped the toy across the road, sending it rolling over the edge of the sinkhole.

The fuzzy teddy bear had a small stampede of zombies chasing after the "animal", and they promptly tumbled out of sight. With the crowd around the bus thinned out, I reclaimed the mug and returned to the bus.

"Back up," I told the Runner, who was still trying to force the door open.

He blinked at me blankly, then recognition dawned in his eyes when he spotted the mug. As he stumbled up the stairs to the main bus area, I opened the door and slipped inside, securely locking it behind me. The Runner came forward, eagerly focused on the mug.

"Sit down," I said, not convinced his coordination was at a point where he could drink while standing.

Like last time, he sat readily and held out his hands.

"Drink slowly," I reminded him as I passed him the mug and backed up the command with a faint growl.

Not a single drop was spilled, nor did he waste time by shaking the cup or banging it against the floor; instead, he immediately held it out to me.

I continued refilling the mug as he drained it, and I was draining the last of the birds when Daniel returned. He jumped on top of the bus and set another massive duffel bag down.

"How's he doing?" he asked.

"It's hard to say considering he seemed to understand basic commands even before we started, but at this point, he isn't slopping, and I don't even have to ask him to sit or drink slowly. He isn't able to speak yet, nor does he understand questions as far as I can tell. Just basic instructions."

"I grabbed some clothing and a few odds and ends, including another hard plastic cup," Daniel replied, setting a small backpack to the side. "Do you want me to help drain the birds or go find more?"

I eyed up the huge bag. "Why don't you help me drain these while I keep taking the blood to him? This might be enough to help him regain control."

He nodded and began pulling birds out of the duffel bag. My travel mug wasn't as full as usual, but I took what I had to the Runner since Daniel was already filling the cup he had found.

Our hitchhiker was still sitting on the floor, just like he had been the last few times. Even as the door opened, he held out his hands for the mug.

"Here you go. Do you remember your name yet?"